Notices

Merc Verado 350

Old 02-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=FeverMike;2449898]
Originally Posted by StillCrazy J&M

Thanks, I would have never thought to look over there! Weird I think.

The Fountain with triple dry is 10,800lbs. Add 200gallons of fuel to the 425 gallon fuel tanks and so forth and the boat is right around 12000lbs.

You may not like the lay out but this boat is perfect for fishing and is highly acclaimed on the fishing circuit. The fit and finish of the boat is good but the cosmetic looks of the electrical wiring under the helm could be nicer.

the Fountain 38TE is a fish boat and a very every weeked usable boat with easy clean up and maintanance. The 39 Cigarette Top Fish is much more bling, very pretty and a boat I would really not compare the Fountain with.
mike tell me what you would do with the wiring. pm me. thanx ric
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=fountainemp;2449913]
Originally Posted by FeverMike

mike tell me what you would do with the wiring. pm me. thanx ric
Thanks for asking! As you know I have owned a few Fountains and currently own a 38TE Fountain. I have never had any wiring electrical issue however I believe in craftsmanship and making things look as neat and clean as possible.

The electrical wire rigging under the helm of my 38TE and likewise all Fountains I have looked at is very messy and almost like a rats nest. The wire looms are too long and are wadded up with electrical tape and folded up and so forth.

If you look at the way Concept (for example) neat and cleanly cuts each wire the proper length and everything is run neatly and supported every 1/2 inch with a zip tie and around every 2" with a wire support...this is the way to do it. Cigarette is famous for this.

Down the road because the wiring is run clean organized neat and cleanly, tracing an electrical issue or just adding accessories becomes simple and easy. Plus it just plain looks like some cares and is proud of the work they do.

My home thearter system wiring is run so neat and clean it is sick! I took great care and pride in the work I did on my home theater system. My $200k+ boat should have perfectly neat and clean wire rigging. Fountain is failing in this regard.

Here are some pictures from under the helm of my 2004 36 Concept I owned.

Last edited by FeverMike; 10-30-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

mike i will pass this info on. i am just a trailer mechanic but i also want our customers to be happy. thanx again ric.

Last edited by fountainemp; 02-19-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you guys missed us. We were at the yacht brokerage location again this year. We do get quite a few yacht guys looking for the baddest custom tender though. (sold two 36 quads, a 36 L-shape, and a 33 open so far)

It is near impossible to get inside the Miami Show because we have only been there since 2002. We need the space for at least 4 boats and the wait list is years long.

My Italian dealer rode the cig with 4 people and his GPS saw 71 once.

The 33 comes with twin or triple motors. The 36 with twin, trip or quad. Amen to the transom comment! We build our quad with a double thickness transom and more knees, stringers, bulkheads. Then we do a full second lamination schedule and also put a second layer of Kevlar in the hull to offset the weight and impact loads when running. The boat goes from 13,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs.

I was able to cruise between 65 and 70 on the way to Key West carrying well over 350 gallons of fuel during the poker run with three people. Top speed is 79-80 on gps with people and fuel.

We just ran a twin F350 Yamaha 36 open (about 13,000) and got 68.7 mph with over 170 gallons. Silly midrange from the big props.

Triple F350 Yamaha engine would probably be faster than the Mercury 300 Verado Quad, just guessing because of the extra drag but props are very limited. The hull would have to be built overkill for this application too.

Take a good look at the real running surface of that "absolute beast" then weigh it and it won't suprise you why it can accelerate like that. Not my cup of tea for riding in bumpy stuff though.

We will be in the West Palm show coming up, see you there or in Key Largo.

Carl
Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

Hey Carl, thanks for the post and info and yeah I hated not seeing your boats. My wife and I are about to drive down to the Keys for a vacation so I will stop by the dealership and check them out.
Awesome performance in the post above!

see ya! Mike
Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountainemp
mike i will pass this info on. i am just a trailer mechanic but i also want our customers to be happy. thanx again ric.
awesome~! Tell Martin Sanborn and Benny Robertson Mike Carter said hi...they know me. I hope Fountain will listen because people I know and speak with are turned off by the ugly electrical wiring job...I am embarrassed to even show mine!

I sell to a music store in Washington called PC Sound. I will be at this store next Tuesday at around 3pm. I should be done with my sales visit at around 4:30pm. Probably too late for a quick tour or to speak to anyone? I have to drive down to Jacksonville that night.

see ya!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Fell free to stop in. We are open on Sundays too. I can't imagine how many missed seeing the boat with us outside in the water.

Carl
305-582-2737
Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FeverMike
awesome~! Tell Martin Sanborn and Benny Robertson Mike Carter said hi...they know me. I hope Fountain will listen because people I know and speak with are turned off by the ugly electrical wiring job...I am embarrassed to even show mine!

I sell to a music store in Washington called PC Sound. I will be at this store next Tuesday at around 3pm. I should be done with my sales visit at around 4:30pm. Probably too late for a quick tour or to speak to anyone? I have to drive down to Jacksonville that night.

see ya!
benny is not there anymore. i heard sc. martin is always on the road . i will talk to tony cuserties in sales and see if we can arrange something for you.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountainemp
benny is not there anymore. i heard sc. martin is always on the road . i will talk to tony cuserties in sales and see if we can arrange something for you.
Wow, when did Benny leave? He was at the Miami show in the fountain booth and gave me his card with Fountain on it. We talked for a few minutes too.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Ditto- for as much money as boats cost a little attention to detail is in order. Not bashing what-so-ever, just what would it really cost to do it up right? $1K more labor/parts on a $300K+ boat is not much to ask.

Hope they listen!
I do not even think it would be close to $1000 to clean up the wire rigging under helm. A couple of hours of labor and probably about $5 in zip ties and wire clamp supports.

I would love to clean up my wiring but I do not have the time, schematic of the wiring or the knowledge to do this. If my boat was put away for a long winter I would make it my winter project.

I will try to get down to my dock and take some pictures of my ugly mess of a wire rig job and post it in a few days.

Yeah I am not bashing either just making a VERY SERIOUS SUGGESTION for Fountain to show off some craftsmanship and rigging quality. My boats lay out, design and build quality is very good.

Quick Reply: Merc Verado 350

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.