Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Documented Boat Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180053-documented-boat-question.html)

Fountain38SC 02-17-2008 10:50 AM

Documented Boat Question

As a federally documented vessel, can you be boarded, stopped or ticket by a state official? The rumor is that the state official needs the coast guard present (to board). I have no idea wether this is true or not. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this and if there is - what is the legal authority supporting this position?

BAJA WILL 02-17-2008 11:05 AM

Had my boat Coast Guard Doc for 8 years, was boarded several times and stopped. In VA the DGIF (dept of game inland fish) have more authority than police, they don't need a reason to even pull you over.

WILL

BOBCATMATHEWS 02-17-2008 11:13 AM

used to be they could not but I think homeland security changed all of that.

apppedigree 02-17-2008 11:16 AM

They can stop and ticket to enforce the local laws. However, it is my understanding that they cannot board without permission from the owner/operator.

Here at LKN I get pulled all the time because I dont have registration #'s - they usually ask for my documentation and then roll on, some others get much more flack than I.

Fountain38SC 02-17-2008 11:19 AM

I have been stopped by both state and federal officials, never a problem. As I had not done anything wrong, I had no reason to object to their boarding. I would just like to know what if any right they had to board a federally documented vessel. You never know, it might come in handy to know your rights.

kjm5125 02-17-2008 11:36 AM

Yes, they have the right to board.

GLH 02-17-2008 04:53 PM

I have been boarded by everybody and their mother and all I have is CG Documentation, no state registration.

shoregasm 02-17-2008 07:26 PM

GLH,

Have you never had issues with no reg ? Last year I was written ticket for no reg by FWC here in Florida....ticket never made it to court due to lawyer, but I was told that now you still have to have reg....??

I still have not done it yet, but have not also had boat out yet due to some work on it in shop still..

GLH 02-17-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by shoregasm (Post 2448800)
GLH,

Have you never had issues with no reg ? Last year I was written ticket for no reg by FWC here in Florida....ticket never made it to court due to lawyer, but I was told that now you still have to have reg....??

I still have not done it yet, but have not also had boat out yet due to some work on it in shop still..

Not where I boat.

rush 02-17-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by shoregasm (Post 2448800)
GLH,

I think the #s your talking about are fed #s that are to be desplayed somewhere,anywhere on the boat. you get the #s from CG. I had mine in the engin bay under cover.