Aluminum Cylinder Heads & Salt Water

Notices

Aluminum Cylinder Heads & Salt Water

Old 02-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default painfull truth..

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Is anybody using aluminum cylinder heads in salt water and if so are they holding up ? What manufacture are you using ?

Thanks
Joby
they" hold up" the INTAKE...salt eat everything but gold.....m.m...
Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ttt
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered

a little over 2 years in nothing but salt and they still look new. I do flush the chit out of them after every run.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

I just looked at a set of Edelbrock heads with only 70 hrs on them only 2 years old and they need to be welded up and they maybe wasted. This guy flushed them out and used Salt away. He has not left the boat in the water over night and always said I need to go flush out the motors after we go out for the day. I don't know what heads I want to go with now. I was going with Dart Pro 1 but after looking at the Edelbrocks I may stay with Iron Heads .I don't want to piss money away I already have a boat enough money pissed away already.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Its not just saltwater, freshwater too. Mine are junk now because of corrosion, but I doubt they had the hard coating. I think they were on about three years, not sure - it was bought used that way.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFR offers them hard coated and it does help i have run them for over 15 years but my boat only see's salt 4 or 5 times a year. Use salt away after they are in salt water and you should be fine.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 years on Big Brodies and no problems......but like everyone say flush after using in saltwater.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
I just looked at a set of Edelbrock heads with only 70 hrs on them only 2 years old and they need to be welded up and they maybe wasted. This guy flushed them out and used Salt away. He has not left the boat in the water over night and always said I need to go flush out the motors after we go out for the day. I don't know what heads I want to go with now. I was going with Dart Pro 1 but after looking at the Edelbrocks I may stay with Iron Heads .I don't want to piss money away I already have a boat enough money pissed away already.
I have the same concerns, and I think the way I'm going is to have my HP500's iron heads sent out to Jim V or Champion Heads had have them massaged? What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 10-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had heads ported at Champion, Sonny Leonard and Valako's. I would never do business again with Champion and I would recommend Jim V to anyone.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
I have had heads ported at Champion, Sonny Leonard and Valako's. I would never do business again with Champion and I would recommend Jim V to anyone.
Ben,
Care to explain why not to use Champion? They are just up the road from me, and I like to try and use local vendors when possible.
Thanks,
Dean

Quick Reply: Aluminum Cylinder Heads & Salt Water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.