Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speed boating and fuel prices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180519-speed-boating-fuel-prices.html)

Fortius 02-22-2008 04:04 PM

Speed boating and fuel prices

I have been reading these pages and been wondering,that you guys are not specially concerned about fuel prices and fuel consumption.Speed boating is an expensive hobby and is coming more.The topics here are everything else.Of course everything can't be measured in money especially ones hobby, but anyway.What is boat industry doing?You can't see any answers at boat shows.They put 3-4 a' 300 hp outboards to the transom.The industry is waiting,that the legislation is determining their direction.When the oil price continues its way up,speed boating comes impossible with present kind of energy wasting engines.Are speed boats dinosaurus of this age,have they come to the end of their way?Hummer is like Prius in comparision with a boat consuming 90 gph. Fuel prices are of course a piece of all costs,but a growing one and which is reminding every time you fill you tanks.

I only try to make sense to myself why to change my 24" speed boat to bigger one unless it is at least with diesel engines.

offshoresteve 02-22-2008 05:20 PM

Sounds like you need a Sailboat:evilb:

seafordguy 02-22-2008 05:25 PM

Because most people will tell you - Fuel is the cheapest aspect of their boating.

Gilman 02-22-2008 05:27 PM

You make people ante up if its to expensive, but I'm going with or witout them.

excursion 02-22-2008 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 2456268)
Because most people will tell you - Fuel is the cheapest aspect of their boating.

I have told my wife many times I would pay $10 dollars a gallon if that is all the expense I would have all summer, no more expensive repairs..................drives, motors, misc..........

GAS IS STILL THE CHEAPEST PART

blue thunder 02-22-2008 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fortius (Post 2456158)
I have been reading these pages and been wondering,that you guys are not specially concerned about fuel prices and fuel consumption.Speed boating is an expensive hobby and is coming more.The topics here are everything else.Of course everything can't be measured in money especially ones hobby, but anyway.What is boat industry doing?You can't see any answers at boat shows.They put 3-4 a' 300 hp outboards to the transom.The industry is waiting,that the legislation is determining their direction.When the oil price continues its way up,speed boating comes impossible with present kind of energy wasting engines.Are speed boats dinosaurus of this age,have they come to the end of their way?Hummer is like Prius in comparision with a boat consuming 90 gph. Fuel prices are of course a piece of all costs,but a growing one and which is reminding every time you fill you tanks.

I only try to make sense to myself why to change my 24" speed boat to bigger one unless it is at least with diesel engines.

90gph I suspect would be a problem for most. But in reality the 30-40 gph for most hp boat is manageable 20 time a year. How much is that at 1.5hr/ weekend.... $4,200 at $3.50/gallon. Not going to slow a lot of us down too much. If it was 90gph that may be different. Anyway, I would keep you 24" speed boat because it probably uses nitro not gas.

BT :cool-smiley-011:

creeper 02-22-2008 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 2456306)
90gph I suspect would be a problem for most. But in reality the 30-40 gph for most hp boat is manageable 20 time a year. How much is that at 1.5hr/ weekend.... $4,200 at $3.50/gallon. Not going to slow a lot of us down too much. If it was 90gph that may be different. Anyway, I would keep you 24" speed boat because it probably uses nitro not gas.

BT :cool-smiley-011:

nitro not gas.....:evilb:...:grinser010:.....:D

Propster 02-22-2008 06:19 PM

Fuel is expensive, but it is still the cheapest part of running a high performance boat. I had to rebuild both drives twice last year. I would have rather been burning fuel than waiting for parts and paying to rebuild drives.

They pay $9 - $10 for fuel in Europe now. We are actually getting off cheap.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-22-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Propster (Post 2456335)
Fuel is expensive, but it is still the cheapest part of running a high performance boat. I had to rebuild both drives twice last year. I would have rather been burning fuel than waiting for parts and paying to rebuild drives.

They pay $9 - $10 for fuel in Europe now. We are actually getting off cheap.

Absolutely prop its part of life , we dont like to pay 5.00 a box for cereal but kidz gotta have it ... Pizza ,pitchers of pop for the kidz & a few beers 100.00 REALITY :D

heavyhauler 02-22-2008 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fortius (Post 2456158)

Have you bought any bottled water lately? Price of gas pales in comparison.