Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What tools do you keep on board? >

What tools do you keep on board?

Notices

What tools do you keep on board?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I want to know what you need tools for, these things don't break?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

west marine s.s. tool kit after my last one rusted through over the winter and ruined my hull carpet in the cabin and the bed and some gelcoat..

and a spare bilge pump with alligator clips attached to them... i learned this one from an old buddy of mine.. never hurts to have a spare or an additional one if the waters comin in faster than what youre set up for...
Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
lmao

tell ya what, i developed a system for determining exactly what i need on my boat. I put together a set of tools that i thought i needed on the boat than when ever i worked on it, weather it was at my dock or in my shop i used ONLY the tools that i had on board. Pulling motors/drives whatever, i only used the set onboard and those tools always stay with the boat. If i ran into a situation where i needed something i added it to the set and if there was something i obviously never used it was eliminated. through time the set streamlined itself and has just what i need without lugging around extra crap. It is in one bag that is about 15 inches long by about 10 inches square. I have never inventoried it but suppose i should after it get out of storage, you would be surprised how little you need to do just about anything. At any rate this is just a way to streamline your set over time and wish i had a list for ya but it could be different from boat to boat.
Exactly my method ... after pulling both motors and major rewire I have slimmed things down ..... Three canvas tool bags ...and one plastic tool box ...
The large tool bag has tools ...meduim bag has spare parts,tie wraps ..clamps ..spare solenoid ...meter ..
The small bag has only clean rags right now ....
Plastic Tool box has stuff I use every now and then but I am considering removing it ..
one thing I was thinking about is a spare sea pump assembly ...They whole assembly could be swapped out in about 10-15 minutes ...
Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A banjo. It's worthless as a tool but it will be helpful when trying to blend in with the locals while doing emergency repairs.......
Attached Thumbnails What tools do you keep on board?-deliv01.jpg  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Registered

West Marine has a nice toolkit that's on sale. With a coupon it is only $39.99!

This tool kit has the goods to get any boater out of just about any jam. Tackle problems ranging from rigging and deckwork to engine and electronics with this extensive selection of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers and more. Features 175 chrome-plated tools made from drop forged heat treated carbon steel. Waterproof and buoyant polyethelyene case.

10 SAE and Metric wrenches
44 piece 3/8" drive SAE and metric socket set
56-piece bit driver set
18-piece hex key set
8" adjustable wrench
6" long nose pliers
6" slip joint pliers
Stripper/crimper with 39-piece terminals and 2 screwdrivers
Waterproof and buoyant polyethylene case; 16.5 H x 14" W x 3" D
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
1 pack Clay, get'n old, slack'n off or just whack'n off!!! What's the deal???!!!!Evil Banana won't post!!!!!!
I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
Good 1, I knew we let ya hang on OSO 4 some reason!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
lmao

tell ya what, i developed a system for determining exactly what i need on my boat. I put together a set of tools that i thought i needed on the boat than when ever i worked on it, weather it was at my dock or in my shop i used ONLY the tools that i had on board. Pulling motors/drives whatever, i only used the set onboard and those tools always stay with the boat. If i ran into a situation where i needed something i added it to the set and if there was something i obviously never used it was eliminated. through time the set streamlined itself and has just what i need without lugging around extra crap. It is in one bag that is about 15 inches long by about 10 inches square. I have never inventoried it but suppose i should after it get out of storage, you would be surprised how little you need to do just about anything. At any rate this is just a way to streamline your set over time and wish i had a list for ya but it could be different from boat to boat.
I did that on my scarab but I ended up with no where for people to sit in a 38' boat.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Vise-Grip(replaces lots of tools if you're stuck), flat screwdriver.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Bottle Opener, Cork Screw, and a pack of Condoms!
I usually need a brown paper bag with a hole in it to go with that stuff.

Quick Reply: What tools do you keep on board?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.