Notices

Exhaust Gains

Old 02-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's alot of variables to this question, but the biggest thing to consider is the power to weight ratio.

We've installed and ran 15 exhaust kits within the last year during our testing. We've seen different results from different boats.

A 29V is a heavy boat and 43 HP is generally not enough of a power increase to have a big increase on the top end.

The reality is, it's just too heavy and 43 HP doesn't mean a whole lot. The 496 engines react very well to an exhaust upgrade on the bottom end and through the mid range, so top end isn't the only benefit.

We've spent an extensive amount of time on the dyno and on the water, and my response to customer's is that if we put their engine on a dyno, you'll have a 40-45 HP increase with you HO engine. How your boat will react to the power is a totally different question. The type of boat (cat or v-bottom), the size and weight of the boat, and the running surface of the boat all play an important role in speed increases.

One boat model we did extensive testing with is the new Eliminator 22 Daytona. We did two different installs, both with HO engines. One picked up 6 MPH and the other picked up 7 MPH. That was a light weight rocket ship that aired out very well and reacted very well to the additional power.

We just did an install yesterday on a 27ft Dana boat which is a narrow, low profile, well designed V-bottom boat for fast running. The boat went up two pitches of prop (24 to a 26 four blade), pulled the 26 four blade to 4900 rpm at 67 MPH. That boat picked up 3 mph.

I'd tell you that you'd see a difference on the take-off, mid-range, and a small increase on the top. The exhaust will become more beneficial if other things are being changed to make more power.

Last edited by dana marine products; 02-29-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Registered

i hate to bring up an old post like this, but maybe some one can help here. im hearing good and bad about removing the turbulators. i want to do it as 1 mph is better then 0 mph gains. however im told do it and dont do it by many people. what is the down fall? i could care less about sound. loud pipes save lifes. lol
i keep the boat in salt water for 2-4 weeks at a time. i pull it out and flush it, clean it, spray it etc etc etc every 2-4 weeks. however i use the boat and run it pretty hard just about every night after work and every weekend so it doesnt sit in the water for long without use unless its raining etc.
id like to remove them and add some nice stainless rises for some added bling, i found a set that add's 8 hp over stock. (i know its claimed hp, like a K+N will add 20 hp. lol)
but i love the look of them as well.
any feed back would be great
Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

ps, this is a 375 hp mag with the small cam. it is not an HO
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by noyzee
i hate to bring up an old post like this, but maybe some one can help here. im hearing good and bad about removing the turbulators. i want to do it as 1 mph is better then 0 mph gains. however im told do it and dont do it by many people. what is the down fall? i could care less about sound. loud pipes save lifes. lol
i keep the boat in salt water for 2-4 weeks at a time. i pull it out and flush it, clean it, spray it etc etc etc every 2-4 weeks. however i use the boat and run it pretty hard just about every night after work and every weekend so it doesnt sit in the water for long without use unless its raining etc.
id like to remove them and add some nice stainless rises for some added bling, i found a set that add's 8 hp over stock. (i know its claimed hp, like a K+N will add 20 hp. lol)
but i love the look of them as well.
any feed back would be great
THere is no noticable differance. Supposed to dyno an extra 8hp. I took them out of my HO in my fountain. They are there to catch water and boil it away b4 it hits the head and valves. I think put there for saltwater boats that are left in the water.....like yours. Just leave them in. Take you stock risers off and polish them or powder coat them a different color.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Don't waste your money on an aftermarket air cleaner. They literally lose power compared to the stock unit. You can hold your stock unit into sunlight and see directly through it. It has a larger flow surface area compared to any aftermarket air cleaner. It has a nice radiused venturi style air inlet into the throttle body, which speeds up air flow. Dyno test have shown power loss with aftermarket units, even on engines that have received Raylar upgrades.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered

What about 6.2's?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink There is no cheap speed and performance in most performance boats!

If your boats a 375mag and you boat and stay in salt water a lot-DO NOT REMOVE YOUR TURBULATORS! Stock valves and seats will suffer (rust) and you will damage the motor! Same with 6.2L small blocks!
Stop trying to get 1-2 mph increases from minor engine modifications such as reprograms and air cleaners, they don't work! The next best alternative is exhaust upgrades with a good headers or exhaust manifold header(true header type like Dana) upgrade and work you can sometimes do to prop labbing and drive adjustments and on some boats hull bottom work. these kind of upgrades can add the 35-40hp for headers and 2-3 mph for some prop, drive and bottom work upgrades.
If you really want to add big power of 100 hp on 496HO and 150HP on a 496Mag call us at Raylar, our kits will get it done!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

thanks for the great info. im looking for cheep easy ways for a little more speed. 1-2 mph to some of us is allot, as is paying $4,000 for exhaust. if i could afford to spend thousands apon thousands on upgrades i would, but i cant so im searching the cheeper effective way to do things. im a pretty young guy trying to make a living and enjoy a sport i love and enjoy going fast. sure calling raylar would be great, paying raylar, not so great. lol
im searching for 1-2 mph the info above is saying a few things wont help, thats great info. if it wont help, i wont do it. if theres any tricks, i would love to know what i can do on a basic working mans pay check. if i had the $$$$ to spend huge coin on upgrades, i would have started off with something other then a 26 checkmate with low HP motor, but its what i could afford in the condition i want. just want to know some tips.

thanks. and if things turn around i will call raylar!! wish i could do it now

i was looking at props. i will 100% be doing that this year, any other tips to pic up some speed, top end, mid range etc etc for a lower budget?

thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

ps, im asking these questions as i have been on boats all my life and know allot about them and the water. however i have grown up on different style boats. my dads first boat when i was born was a 22 nova 1978 i think, after theat it has been all cruzer boats. 32 st tropez, 36 tiara, and now a 37 riviera. im just getting into messing with the go fast, so im a newbie looking for info.
thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noyzee,
There is no cheap performance gains to be had. My 28 ft Silencer is in the process of getting Raylar's 103 kit installed as we speak. I had to pay an additional 30% due to the Canadian exchange so I Know its expensive. The boat better work with the 100 more hp!!!
What you are looking for could probably be achieved by running good engine oil, proper air flow, a good prop and alot of time spent on your back waxing and polishing the hull....theres 1 mph with the wax....
just my .02

Quick Reply: Exhaust Gains

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.