Notices

Side wind and docking

Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side wind and docking

Hello
How do you manage with a narrow and long offshore boat to dock,when the wind is blowing from sides?How is the case,if you have surface drives,is there any difference?What about,if you have a dock with shafts on both sides and you must steer backwards with sidewind and the boat is for example 35-40" ?

Last edited by Fortius; 02-28-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

When approaching a cross wind you should always approach it against the wind. There is a DVD out there for twin screws that may be pretty helpful. It was for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

no difference between the Arnesons vs the #6 drives. Jeff
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered

Point nose into the wind. Be lucky you dont have a Fountain. They will take some docks down if you arent careful and mine is jst a 27. I cant imangine some of the larger ones.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fortius
Hello
How do manage with a narrow and long offshore boat to dock,when the wind is blowing from sides?How is the case,if you have surface drives,is there any difference?

We were trying to dock in a slip on Sunday with a strong wind port to starboard ...it was a ***** ...there were hands on the dock ....next time I will attach a line on Port Stearn and approach into the wind with a hand on the bow with the port stern line ... hand the line to a hand on the dock and let them hold the stern from blowing down wind ....note ..we didnt do that and like I said ...was a ***** ....m
Old 02-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

Default Fountain 38?

Originally Posted by apppedigree
Point nose into the wind. Be lucky you dont have a Fountain. They will take some docks down if you arent careful and mine is jst a 27. I cant imangine some of the larger ones.
Could you explain what you mean ?Just planning of Fountain 38 LTG.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered

Luckily for me. The winds and river currents here typically go in opposite directions. I usually have to keep the bow upstream as I approach the slip till the last moment. A nice crosswind lets me come straight in.

But in a no current condition, I would keep the bow into the wind then point it into the slip at the last/right moment. Giving enough throttle to get the boat in without it being a ping pong ball.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

http://byownerelectronics.com/flash/docking_school.html
Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Registered

The way that Fountains sit in the water gives them alot of space for the wind to catch, that coupled with the fact that they are a little lighter then some and boom you are in the dock before you know it. The wind will catch the nose and your gone.

If you have to loop around then loop around, point it into the wind and get the tail in there as fast as possible and let the nose come. Always keep it under power, once you loose that prop then you are along for the ride. Also, with smaller Fountains like mine, it can look like a calm day and it is still tuff to get the nose to come around with a single engine. I also have a blower motor, so when it surges I loose power steering a little so it is really a pain.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

I try to always approach from the windward side of the dock where possible. I take my time and use the wind to shove me into the dock. Looks real fancy when I get it right... And when I poodle it, I've been known to hit the dock like I'm landing a higgins boat!

Quick Reply: Side wind and docking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.