Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   E85 85% Corn Alcohol (ethanol) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180994-e85-85%25-corn-alcohol-ethanol.html)

TKF Chicago 02-28-2008 12:14 PM

E85 85% Corn Alcohol (ethanol)

This is in are future. I was wondering if anybody is experimenting with this? Evinrude debut the 300 Etec in South America. I wonder if Evinrude is testing with this fuel? E85 is widely used there. Brazil is the largest manufacturer of this fuel in the world. They make it from sugarcane. They are getting away from petrol based fuel, so should we. E85 octane rating is somewhere in the 100's. You burn about a 1/3 more than petrol based fuel. Upside, it's a cooler and better burning fuel. Much less carbon particulate matter (green). Depending on the aplication, you could run more timing or boost. It would be cool if someone made software for ecu's, so you could switch back and forth from E85 to 87 or 93 oct with a couple of key strokes. You could use your lap top or a flash loader connected to your engine's ECU. You could go fast and be environmentally friendly as well. You can make E85 from any plant material, even algae. This could be are fuel for next level in performance for marine applications. I am not a tree hugger, just thinking about the future for me and everyone else.

Screw OPEC and the middle east.

What do you guys think?

Propster 02-28-2008 12:26 PM

I think it would be pretty easy for the direct injected outboards and the fuel injected inboards to run E85. Definately not rocket science. Just need a cheap sensor to check fuel alcohol level, bigger injectors and additional fuel curves set up in the computer. It would also require a closed venting system for the fuel system to avoid water absorbtion.

The media has been blasting corn alcohol, but I saw a algea farm set up in Arizona that looked promising for alcohol production. If the scientists can figure out how to make alcohol out of any plant matter, I think we could achieve oil independence in a few years.

fantastixvoyage 02-28-2008 01:18 PM

Make sure you don't have a 'glass tank, your rubbers are ethanol compatible, add a good "tune" and you're off!

dyno 02-28-2008 03:19 PM

I think its the best solution out there for the fuel crisis, I was wondering if anyone has added a add on E85 brain box on there trucks? I've read a little on the web and you can buy one for $400 just a plug and go deal any thoughts???

TKF Chicago 02-28-2008 04:38 PM

We are coming to an era where blown alcohol and turbo alcohol 700 cu in bigblocks can be environmentally friendly. 1500 hp flex fuel motors. That would be f---ing cool. E85 is cheaper than race fuel. 110 or 115 oct is what, 5 bucks or more a gal.

TKF Chicago 02-28-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by dyno (Post 2464692)
I think its the best solution out there for the fuel crisis, I was wondering if anyone has added a add on E85 brain box on there trucks? I've read a little on the web and you can buy one for $400 just a plug and go deal any thoughts???

Those of us with diesel powered vehicles can run bio-diesel. There are misconceptions about that. Actually its better for your engine than ultra low sulpher.

Payton 02-28-2008 06:34 PM

There is a new product called biobutanol that may be even better than ethanol. Current ethanol plants can be switched over fairly easily. It burns a lot more like gas and can be burned in any car with no mods.Also it does not attract water. It can be made from any product that we make ethanol from.

GLH 02-28-2008 09:29 PM

It's crap fuel that without subsidy would be the way of the dodo bird where it belongs.

1CE 02-28-2008 10:03 PM

subsidy

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2465303)
It's crap fuel that without subsidy would be the way of the dodo bird where it belongs.

dude, how has your trip ? burn any bio-diesel while land bound, yep subsidy ! :cool-smiley-027:

10x 02-28-2008 10:23 PM

Doing some testing with it now. It has some draw backs, and some advantages too. Problem is that it's not available anywhere on the water yet that I know of.