Notices

Powerboat Magazine

Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerboat Magazine

Has anyone done any advertising in Powerboat Magazine.

I am more concerned with results from a non boat related ad.

I am actually considering a travel product, the product does have an extreme value.

Your thoughts?

Thanks Rob
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

If you want to go the powerboat route you might get more bang for the buck setting up at some Poker Runs and having the product there to be seen.

I dont know this about Powerboat Mag, but alot of the problem I have with my clients going to print ads is that the publications are un-audited. This means that the circ #'s and newstand #'s are not always accurate.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

Thanks for the response.

I understand about circ#'s. They claim 50k issues are printed. Who knows how many are actually sold. They also claim on average a mag is shared with at least 1 other person. I think they said 60% or readers read the entire mag.

Cost for advertising a non boat related product is pretty good.

The demigraphics are great.
Most readers make 150k a year plus over 70%
most have over 1 million net worth.

So I would be reaching people with a good enough income to afford this. Plus any boater I have ever met still like to travel.

Most readers are male. and males are less likely to make a purchase like this through a magazine.

I like the poker run idea not sure how I would showcase it at a poker run though.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

Give it some thought. If you can think of a good way to set up at a Poker Run give me a shout. I am representing a couple and can get you a proposal that outlines packages. I will at least give you another option aside from print.

Rob - 980-722-9463
Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always been curious about this. You see magazine quote circulations numbers, but what does that mean? Okay, so they print 50,000 copies a month. How many are subscribers, and how many end up on store shelves or airport magazine racks and end up un-read at the end of the month? You can pretty much go to any store or any airport across the nation and find at least a 1/2-dozen issues unsold....what's that say? I'm not certain, but curious. And demographics?...who did they poll? Subscribers only? Random visitors to their site? There's no telling....

Similarly, OSO has 54,000 registered members, many of whom are regulars, and even more who are unregistered visitors. OSO has a 3-month average of 278,571 unique daily page views. Getting your ad on a banner here could be just as beneficial, if not more than, a print magazine. And I'm sure the demographic here would be very similar to the PB magazine reader, whatever the demographics truly are.

Just pondering aloud...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered

The truth is that the print industry is on the decline for various reasons - but mostly because people dont read and they have the internet etc.

Unless the publication pays to be audited by a reputable auditing company then the #'s are for sure made up. I was contracted to sell ad space for one of the largest NASCAR publications in the industry a couple of years ago. Claimed that the circ was 425,000, each issue being exposed to 15+ people. We were charging 20k per ad and had a warehouse full of magazines that never made it out anywhere.

For me - while doing an ROI report for my clients at the end of the year (showing them where their money went and what thy got out of it) - I have to try and make a not so exact science as exact as possible ( turning exposure into a dollar amount) - I at least want to have exact numbers.

Lastly, location, location, location. Your ad can easily get lost in a publication. Thats why you need someone with experience doing the negotiating. Publications will sell the moon and give you crappy placement - and believe me not everyone takes a look at every page while they are taking a dump. Marketing is not rocket science. If you stop think and use common sense you can get the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered

Internet I like. It is much easier to track. You can have it done in house with some software or you can pay a company like webtrends to track it for you.

You have a link/graphic. They can tell you how many times it pops up in the cycle. You can see how many "clicks" you got. Where those people came from and you can see what is working and not working. Much easier to see where your money is going.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Magazine ads are expensive. not sure of the ROI. I've looked directly at Cigar Aficionado and Cigar Magazine. Same type of demographics as you listed above...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by apppedigree
Give it some thought. If you can think of a good way to set up at a Poker Run give me a shout. I am representing a couple and can get you a proposal that outlines packages. I will at least give you another option aside from print.

Rob - 980-722-9463
I'll keep it in mind I may even call you....
Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I've always been curious about this. You see magazine quote circulations numbers, but what does that mean? Okay, so they print 50,000 copies a month. How many are subscribers, and how many end up on store shelves or airport magazine racks and end up un-read at the end of the month? You can pretty much go to any store or any airport across the nation and find at least a 1/2-dozen issues unsold....what's that say? I'm not certain, but curious. And demographics?...who did they poll? Subscribers only? Random visitors to their site? There's no telling....

Similarly, OSO has 54,000 registered members, many of whom are regulars, and even more who are unregistered visitors. OSO has a 3-month average of 278,571 unique daily page views. Getting your ad on a banner here could be just as beneficial, if not more than, a print magazine. And I'm sure the demographic here would be very similar to the PB magazine reader, whatever the demographics truly are.

Just pondering aloud...

I have thought about this as well and still have not ruled it out. 90% of my current advertising is on the internet. It works well. I have price quotes from here also. Banners are my least successful method though. Most people ignore them anymore. They were very good i the begining.

Most of my advertising now is Google Pay Per Click. I get the best results there but it is pricey.

Last edited by Leathl_WS6; 02-29-2008 at 10:05 PM.