Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine???? >

Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine????

Notices

Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine????

Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya, sure it's nice to be featured, but I think it's no more than a novelty. I doubt it does anything significant to the value of the boat.

Also consider what was done to the boat...who drove it, how was it driven, any incidents? Speed trials? Time to plane tests? This testing could be abusive sometimes.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People like to brag that their boat was featured in such and such magazine. In our experience, a featured boat has a slightly higher resale value and tends to sell a bit faster....nothing drastic on either account though.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered

Interesting....I really don't think it does.....won 2 national championships and high points with my cig...does that mean you guys that think its worth more are willing to actually pay more...Its been published dozens of times...my experience says no
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think a performance boat in a mag matters. The boat unlike a car or a bike is something that is used, not just admired and shown. A show car/bike that has many features/articles because it is a one off, carries some premium - watch Barret Jackson.

I think the fact that most performance boats are not custom means they are all pretty much all the same?

When you look at custom Sportfisherman that have had alot of exposure they will get a more money, how much???

You can put an Enzo in your foyer, pretty hard to put a 42 Cigarette in there!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM

Like for like, same same, I think most of the powerboating crowd would opt for a featured boat. If nothing else, just to stroke their ego.

Most featured boats are in the 2, 3 and 400 range and if a guy/gal is willing to spend that much I'm thinking an extra 3-5K for the mag spot isn't going to scare them off and it gives them something the next guy/gal doesn't.

I also think it can help in the sell and help it sell faster. Rather than me telling you it does a 100 or this many mph in 20 sec or 30-50 this fast, I can show you where it's proven it can do all these things. If nothing else, I certainly don't think it hurst at all.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
my00b16si

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
I don't think a performance boat in a mag matters. The boat unlike a car or a bike is something that is used, not just admired and shown. A show car/bike that has many features/articles because it is a one off, carries some premium - watch Barret Jackson.

I think the fact that most performance boats are not custom means they are all pretty much all the same?

When you look at custom Sportfisherman that have had alot of exposure they will get a more money, how much???

You can put an Enzo in your foyer, pretty hard to put a 42 Cigarette in there!
+1 i agree, i like to look at it another way. take the genareal lee from the dukes of hazerd now who really knows if there is a real one left, but people will pay big bucks for a replicia.(tv) now lets say the same for the mti from miami vice i heard its sold really well at barrett jackson.(tv) now think if it was only in a mag. no exposure. people who buy the mags are the people that are in to this lifestyle already so we know what these boats are worth so i dont thinks a mag is going to make it worth more, put it in a movie ortv with a name behind it now its worth big bucks

Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

we just bought an 07 38zr, i heard from another forum that it was featured in Extreem. we didn't pay any extra, in fact we got a smoking deal. it was a nice added bonus to have and know but it didn't add any value.. if there were two boats that were the same i think most people would pick the featured boat. it human nature..
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by shw-n-go h20
we just bought an 07 38zr, i heard from another forum that it was featured in Extreem. we didn't pay any extra, in fact we got a smoking deal. it was a nice added bonus to have and know but it didn't add any value.. if there were two boats that were the same i think most people would pick the featured boat. it human nature..

What month was the boat featured?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 AM

One thing about featured boats......

They usually list MSRP for the boat with full retail on all the upgrades.
This can scare some people away. I think if you go in and talk in terms they (person(s) selling the boat) understand, you can probably strike a pretty good deal.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Southocg
What month was the boat featured?
It was featured in Volume 8, Issue 3, and as soon as I get my a$$ to the Post Office it's heading to Derric......

Quick Reply: Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.