Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181033-boat-more-desirable-if-its-been-magazine.html)

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:22 PM

Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine????

Curious to see what people think.....

Does a boat become more desirable and hold it's value a little better if it's been featured in a magazine?

packinair 02-28-2008 08:24 PM

I think no. while it is nice to have an article with your boat I can not see paying any more for a boat just because it has had some pic in a magazine, seems the people selling them tend to disagree with that

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by packinair (Post 2465168)
I think no. while it is nice to have an article with your boat I can not see paying any more for a boat just because it has had some pic in a magazine, seems the people selling them tend to disagree with that

If you had two of the same boats, power, drives, hours, etc.
and they were both for sale, same price or close to, would you take the one that's been featured?

MahopacMarine 02-28-2008 08:32 PM

I dont think they are priced higher. At least we dont do that. BUT... with 2 of the same modeled boat with the same options and different graphics I can see the desire for wanting one that has been published in a magazine. It kinda makes you feel a bit more special. :cool-smiley-026:

As far as holding its value better, it will depend on the brand, options and why it was in the magazine.

JMO

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by MahopacMarine (Post 2465182)
I dont think they are priced higher. At least we dont do that. BUT... with 2 of the same modeled boat with the same options and different graphics I can see the desire for wanting one that has been published in a magazine. It kinda makes you feel a bit more special. :cool-smiley-026:

As far as holding its value better, it will depend on the brand, options and why it was in the magazine.

JMO

I think I would agree with you.... I would even go as far to say that a featured boat may not be worth more but to someone who likes that kinda thing, they'd be willing to pay more................ We'll see what everyone thinks.

LZH 02-28-2008 08:42 PM

Apply the same criteria to a woman in Playboy and I think you have your answer !!!

Hot Duck 02-28-2008 08:46 PM

I don't think that it really makes a difference. We had an article done on our Apache after the restoration a few years ago, but I don't see how that will make it more valuable or desirable.

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by LZH (Post 2465195)
Apply the same criteria to a woman in Playboy and I think you have your answer !!!

I like this approach................. ;)

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:52 PM

LZH,

Is your boat for sale? Did I see it kicking around in the classifieds?

LZH 02-28-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Southocg (Post 2465212)
LZH,

Is your boat for sale? Did I see it kicking around in the classifieds?

No, that was another one that I believe sold and is on its way to FLA....hull #1, that has a lot of "history"...Mine is under the knife getting lots of nice upgrades :cool-smiley-011: