Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181033-boat-more-desirable-if-its-been-magazine.html)

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:22 PM

Is A Boat More Desirable If It's Been In A Magazine????

Curious to see what people think.....

Does a boat become more desirable and hold it's value a little better if it's been featured in a magazine?

packinair 02-28-2008 08:24 PM

I think no. while it is nice to have an article with your boat I can not see paying any more for a boat just because it has had some pic in a magazine, seems the people selling them tend to disagree with that

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by packinair (Post 2465168)
I think no. while it is nice to have an article with your boat I can not see paying any more for a boat just because it has had some pic in a magazine, seems the people selling them tend to disagree with that

If you had two of the same boats, power, drives, hours, etc.
and they were both for sale, same price or close to, would you take the one that's been featured?

MahopacMarine 02-28-2008 08:32 PM

I dont think they are priced higher. At least we dont do that. BUT... with 2 of the same modeled boat with the same options and different graphics I can see the desire for wanting one that has been published in a magazine. It kinda makes you feel a bit more special. :cool-smiley-026:

As far as holding its value better, it will depend on the brand, options and why it was in the magazine.

JMO

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by MahopacMarine (Post 2465182)
I dont think they are priced higher. At least we dont do that. BUT... with 2 of the same modeled boat with the same options and different graphics I can see the desire for wanting one that has been published in a magazine. It kinda makes you feel a bit more special. :cool-smiley-026:

As far as holding its value better, it will depend on the brand, options and why it was in the magazine.

JMO

I think I would agree with you.... I would even go as far to say that a featured boat may not be worth more but to someone who likes that kinda thing, they'd be willing to pay more................ We'll see what everyone thinks.

LZH 02-28-2008 08:42 PM

Apply the same criteria to a woman in Playboy and I think you have your answer !!!

Hot Duck 02-28-2008 08:46 PM

I don't think that it really makes a difference. We had an article done on our Apache after the restoration a few years ago, but I don't see how that will make it more valuable or desirable.

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by LZH (Post 2465195)
Apply the same criteria to a woman in Playboy and I think you have your answer !!!

I like this approach................. ;)

Southocg 02-28-2008 08:52 PM

LZH,

Is your boat for sale? Did I see it kicking around in the classifieds?

LZH 02-28-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Southocg (Post 2465212)
LZH,

Is your boat for sale? Did I see it kicking around in the classifieds?

No, that was another one that I believe sold and is on its way to FLA....hull #1, that has a lot of "history"...Mine is under the knife getting lots of nice upgrades :cool-smiley-011:

Southocg 02-28-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by LZH (Post 2465229)
No, that was another one that I believe sold and is on its way to FLA....hull #1, that has a lot of "history"...Mine is under the knife getting lots of nice upgrades :cool-smiley-011:

Very nice......... Good luck with that!

nova26 02-28-2008 09:06 PM

I had a thread on the mag with the P-29 and Mikeyo was nice enough to give it up. The reason I was after it is just thought it would be cool to have. I've been researching on whats out there so when mine sells I'll have a few to chose from. The magazine is just part of the dream.:cool:

Clay Washington 02-28-2008 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by LZH (Post 2465195)

HA HA! Having sex with a Playboy bunny may give you "bragging rights", but that's all. I'll take a beautiful woman anytime. If she's been in a magazine, I don't care. :rolleyes:

Southocg 02-28-2008 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2465298)
HA HA! Having sex with a Playboy bunny may give you "bragging rights", but that's all. I'll take a beautiful woman anytime. If she's been in a magazine, I don't care. :rolleyes:

If you were able to get some pictures with the Playboy bunny, that would be braggin rights......... ;)

LZH 02-28-2008 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2465298)

Me too - she's never been in a magazine (that I know of ;) ) but beauty and desireability are in the eye of the beholder.

THLWL 02-28-2008 09:52 PM

I think it triples the value of the boat!!!! (My boat was in May, 2006). Just kidding about the value. However, I do get a lot of comments and people asking if mine is the boat that was in Powerboat Mag. But mine is a custom one off paint also. If you find the right buyer, I think it will increase value a little.

Southocg 02-28-2008 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by THLWL (Post 2465342)
I think it triples the value of the boat!!!! (My boat was in May, 2006). Just kidding about the value. However, I do get a lot of comments and people asking if mine is the boat that was in Powerboat Mag. But mine is a custom one off paint also. If you find the right buyer, I think it will increase value a little.

If nothing else, it certainly raises interest. That in turn could raise value...

Thanx

Southocg 02-28-2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by LZH (Post 2465336)
Me too - she's never been in a magazine (that I know of ;) ) but beauty and desireability are in the eye of the beholder.

Clean, one owner, low miles, fresh paint, non-smoker.
Worth double................ ;)

Big Time 02-29-2008 08:08 AM

I think it's a selling point, something you mention in the ad. But if you took two of the exact same boats, one was in a mag, the other not, would you pay extra for the boat that was in the mag?......I wouldn't.

THLWL 02-29-2008 09:00 AM

A Hummer dealer in Houston showcases an H2 up on their roof. I was there one day when a buyer had to have the one off the roof even though an exact model set on the ground. He paid to have a 75 ton crane remove it from the roof.

CigDaze 02-29-2008 09:13 AM

Ya, sure it's nice to be featured, but I think it's no more than a novelty. I doubt it does anything significant to the value of the boat.

Also consider what was done to the boat...who drove it, how was it driven, any incidents? Speed trials? Time to plane tests? This testing could be abusive sometimes.

TSPM 02-29-2008 09:24 AM

People like to brag that their boat was featured in such and such magazine. In our experience, a featured boat has a slightly higher resale value and tends to sell a bit faster....nothing drastic on either account though.

shoregasm 02-29-2008 10:20 AM

Interesting....I really don't think it does.....won 2 national championships and high points with my cig...does that mean you guys that think its worth more are willing to actually pay more...Its been published dozens of times...my experience says no

HabanaJoe 02-29-2008 10:50 AM

I don't think a performance boat in a mag matters. The boat unlike a car or a bike is something that is used, not just admired and shown. A show car/bike that has many features/articles because it is a one off, carries some premium - watch Barret Jackson.

I think the fact that most performance boats are not custom means they are all pretty much all the same?

When you look at custom Sportfisherman that have had alot of exposure they will get a more money, how much???

You can put an Enzo in your foyer, pretty hard to put a 42 Cigarette in there!

Southocg 02-29-2008 11:16 AM

Like for like, same same, I think most of the powerboating crowd would opt for a featured boat. If nothing else, just to stroke their ego.

Most featured boats are in the 2, 3 and 400 range and if a guy/gal is willing to spend that much I'm thinking an extra 3-5K for the mag spot isn't going to scare them off and it gives them something the next guy/gal doesn't.

I also think it can help in the sell and help it sell faster. Rather than me telling you it does a 100 or this many mph in 20 sec or 30-50 this fast, I can show you where it's proven it can do all these things. If nothing else, I certainly don't think it hurst at all.

my00b16si 02-29-2008 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2465875)
I don't think a performance boat in a mag matters. The boat unlike a car or a bike is something that is used, not just admired and shown. A show car/bike that has many features/articles because it is a one off, carries some premium - watch Barret Jackson.

I think the fact that most performance boats are not custom means they are all pretty much all the same?

When you look at custom Sportfisherman that have had alot of exposure they will get a more money, how much???

You can put an Enzo in your foyer, pretty hard to put a 42 Cigarette in there!

+1 i agree, i like to look at it another way. take the genareal lee from the dukes of hazerd now who really knows if there is a real one left, but people will pay big bucks for a replicia.(tv) now lets say the same for the mti from miami vice i heard its sold really well at barrett jackson.(tv) now think if it was only in a mag. no exposure. people who buy the mags are the people that are in to this lifestyle already so we know what these boats are worth so i dont thinks a mag is going to make it worth more, put it in a movie ortv with a name behind it now its worth big bucks

shw-n-go h20 02-29-2008 11:32 AM

we just bought an 07 38zr, i heard from another forum that it was featured in Extreem. we didn't pay any extra, in fact we got a smoking deal. it was a nice added bonus to have and know but it didn't add any value.. if there were two boats that were the same i think most people would pick the featured boat. it human nature..

Southocg 02-29-2008 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by shw-n-go h20 (Post 2465946)
we just bought an 07 38zr, i heard from another forum that it was featured in Extreem. we didn't pay any extra, in fact we got a smoking deal. it was a nice added bonus to have and know but it didn't add any value.. if there were two boats that were the same i think most people would pick the featured boat. it human nature..

What month was the boat featured?

Southocg 02-29-2008 11:39 AM

One thing about featured boats......

They usually list MSRP for the boat with full retail on all the upgrades.
This can scare some people away. I think if you go in and talk in terms they (person(s) selling the boat) understand, you can probably strike a pretty good deal.

bluellama 02-29-2008 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Southocg (Post 2465952)
What month was the boat featured?

It was featured in Volume 8, Issue 3, and as soon as I get my a$$ to the Post Office it's heading to Derric...... :D

Southocg 02-29-2008 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 2465995)
It was featured in Volume 8, Issue 3, and as soon as I get my a$$ to the Post Office it's heading to Derric...... :D

I went to school with the guy on the right in you avitar..

Funny $h!t.............

mattyboy 02-29-2008 02:23 PM

we haven't quite gotten to the Barrett Jackson stage yet but I do feel for atleast for an old school boat that any wow or cool factor it has adds to it's value such things as it was the boat in the brochure, the first or the last of a model popped from the molds, a limited edition, a biggy is if it was Elvis' boat but the gravy stains on the front seat need to be authentic :p, seriously if a famous person owned it. Was it used in a movie who produced it ( the boat not the movie) designed it or powered it or raced it all that stuff adds value to the right buyer

I am sure in a few years it will be the same for the newer boats too

bluellama 02-29-2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Southocg (Post 2466134)
I went to school with the guy on the right in you avitar..

Funny $h!t.............

You went to school with Snoop Dogg ?? Sweet.

That pic was taken backstage after his concert in Ottawa, the guy on the left is the Ottawa Senators starting goalie, Ray Emery. He gave Snoop the Sens jersey, on the back it's lettered DOGG 420 ...... :cool-smiley-027:

Southocg 02-29-2008 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 2466234)
You went to school with Snoop Dogg ?? Sweet.

That pic was taken backstage after his concert in Ottawa, the guy on the left is the Ottawa Senators starting goalie, Ray Emery. He gave Snoop the Sens jersey, on the back it's lettered DOGG 420 ...... :cool-smiley-027:

Yeah.... He (snoop) was bouncing around a couple different H.S. while he was working out his "issues". He ended up at my H.S. for a while, his cousins and everybody else you've seen on VH1 behind the scenes went their too.

Lot of good it's doing me now.

obnoxus 02-29-2008 03:40 PM

I'm gonna go the other way with this.

I wouldnt want a magazine boat.

Having everyone come up to you saying ,,,,oh,,, you bought so and so's boat.

But thats just me !!

Southocg 02-29-2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by obnoxus (Post 2466253)
I'm gonna go the other way with this.

I wouldnt want a magazine boat.

Having everyone come up to you saying ,,,,oh,,, you bought so and so's boat.

But thats just me !!

Any different if it was your boat first (new)?

stainless 02-29-2008 05:27 PM

you can have 2 exact boats and one can run better than the other . if the specs on the magazine boat were exceptional or it had a great write up , or if it would take a year or more to duplicate the same boat i do think the mag boat would be worth more

Jigsaw89 02-29-2008 11:03 PM

From a buyers standpoint, a boat featured in a mag wouldn't have any impact on my desire to own it. It all comes down to what I like and how much I'm willing to spend while keeping emotions out of the sale. Nuff said.

Southocg 02-29-2008 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89 (Post 2466686)
From a buyers standpoint, a boat featured in a mag wouldn't have any impact on my desire to own it. It all comes down to what I like and how much I'm willing to spend while keeping emotions out of the sale. Nuff said.

I could certainly see that side of it.

shw-n-go h20 03-01-2008 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 2465995)

Thank You. i tried finding it online but i have'nt found it yet.
we can't wait to get it in the water... April needs to hurry up.