Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imho, at 6 cents per kwh electric cost it's hard to justify. Doug
Old 03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Very interesting. This got me thinking if the electric companies are only willing to buy back so much (like the 10k a yr) why not size a system that could power the whole house and cut the power from the electic company so you don't pay them a dime. Don't know if this would work????
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Very interesting. This got me thinking if the electric companies are only willing to buy back so much (like the 10k a yr) why not size a system that could power the whole house and cut the power from the electic company so you don't pay them a dime. Don't know if this would work????
To do that you would have to have a large battery bank to store the energy for night and rainy days.Just a guess
Old 10-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
To do that you would have to have a large battery bank to store the energy for night and rainy days.Just a guess
i believe you would be correct. any updates on the system ? how did you make out thru the summer with the AC and stuff ? any issues ?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outriggers
It is very cool to watch my meter go backwards. These numbers will be different depending on the state programs and location sun wise. The state of N.J. had a rebate program but I think they use SREC's now. (solar renewable energy credits) Check out njcep.com. I'll try a quick summary. System $65K rebate$35K,$30k out of pocket. The system is 8160 watts DC, should make aprox 10,000Kwh. (48 panels 170 watts each) about $1600 worth at present local rates. There is a $2k federal tax credit. Where I do better is with the SREC's. I should get 10 a year ,they trade kind of like a stock. I figure I should get a check for about $5K a year plus I get the electric. So far this year from Jan 1, I have made more than I have used by about 180KWH. A/C in the summer will take care of that. There really is no maintenance, I have thought about cleaning the glass. I use the grid like a battery, the extra electric I make during the day I take out at night or rainy days. I might have missed some things. The picture is of the inverters.Doug
Excellent...

Approx. 6 yr. pay back period...

Nice...

Divenstar
Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was thinking about branching out my Co. for solar power.
Checked into it, and it's great thing for hoses if you live there longer then 3-5 years. FLorida is way to transient, plus fwe wanted to cover up their "nice" roof tiles. PLus then there are the condo gestapo's. Commercial application is good but costly initial investement.
Different states gives you dif. insentives.
PM me if you interested.
SOS. "Solar Operating Systems, LLC."
Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By U Boy - If you find anything out about Houston - PM me. As high as my roof is over the trees - I'd have a fair shot of getting the rays needed.....
Old 10-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Registered

The 10K D.C limit is just a N.J. thing for the amount the state is willing to help pay for a residence. There are NO Batteries. You use the power company as a battery. ie, I made more than I used in March,April,May,June. That covered my summer A/C load. My electric bill since Jan start up have been $2.20 each month,which is the min service charge to read the meter. So far this year it has made aprox $2000.00 in electric, plus I got a check for $700 for solar energy credits (SREC) for the first few months of the year. No muss,No fuss, it's made about $2 since I got up this morning. The only downside is the money you have to put up front to do it. But I figure I'm making more than 10% on my money. Check some of the links I put up. Doug
Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
By U Boy - If you find anything out about Houston - PM me. As high as my roof is over the trees - I'd have a fair shot of getting the rays needed.....
TX doesn't pay you for the excess power that you feed back into the grid. Only benefit is that you don't have to pay them for what you are making yourself.

Maybe one day, but not right now.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered

The question is ,do they net-meter? So far I haven't been paid for what I put into the Grid. But can you put it in than take it out as you need it? It's not cost effective to make to make to much. My house has a 2 way meter what goes in and what goes out. The differance I either pay or get credit for. Doug

Quick Reply: My Boat Storage powers my house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.