Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My Boat Storage powers my house (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181264-my-boat-storage-powers-my-house.html)

outriggers 03-03-2008 12:34 PM

My Boat Storage powers my house

1 Attachment(s)
Any else do this? I couldn't help myself, the state gave me $35k toward this system. Gives me more money to put gas in the boat. Grid tie, no batteries. When this pic was taken it was making about 6.5kw of 220. Doug

Perlmudder 03-03-2008 12:55 PM

thats awesome! question, so does that make it so you never have an electric bill? and what kinda maintenance do those require? cleaning and the like or do they take care of themselves?

josh.

NJgr8ful 03-03-2008 12:56 PM

very cool :cool: Doug.

I may want to hear more about this. Is the great state of NJ still kicking back on these systems in '08 and beyond?

wstultz 03-03-2008 12:58 PM

Let us know the details of install and cost. I would love to do that on my barn.

320es 03-03-2008 02:16 PM

I would be interested as well. I am buildign a new garage right now (if the weather would cooperate).:mad:

BY U BOY 03-03-2008 02:42 PM

How did you go about getting the Gov to pay for it?Forms or web site to go to? I have been thinkingg about this as well. It would be nice for the Electric company to cut me a check every month:D

outriggers 03-03-2008 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is very cool to watch my meter go backwards. These numbers will be different depending on the state programs and location sun wise. The state of N.J. had a rebate program but I think they use SREC's now. (solar renewable energy credits) Check out njcep.com. I'll try a quick summary. System $65K rebate$35K,$30k out of pocket. The system is 8160 watts DC, should make aprox 10,000Kwh. (48 panels 170 watts each) about $1600 worth at present local rates. There is a $2k federal tax credit. Where I do better is with the SREC's. I should get 10 a year ,they trade kind of like a stock. I figure I should get a check for about $5K a year plus I get the electric. So far this year from Jan 1, I have made more than I have used by about 180KWH. A/C in the summer will take care of that. There really is no maintenance, I have thought about cleaning the glass. I use the grid like a battery, the extra electric I make during the day I take out at night or rainy days. I might have missed some things. The picture is of the inverters.Doug

jeff1000man 03-03-2008 05:19 PM

I know that they have a plan for this in TX, but don't know yet how it works. My father looked into a turbine a few years ago when they were being pushed, but the math didn't work out. Not enough average windy days or something.

These solar panels would work great on our boat docks down here though, and give me an excuse to build an even bigger one.

outriggers 03-03-2008 05:44 PM

Jeff, Try www.dsireusa.org And anybody else for their state program info. They call my system PV or photovoltaic. Doug

jeff1000man 03-03-2008 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by outriggers (Post 2469715)
Jeff, Try www.dsireusa.org And anybody else for their state program info. They call my system PV or photovoltaic. Doug

Didn't see a program for solar panels, but I did find a possible incentive to remodel the house. Need to read further.