Re-rig/ Conversion pics from Pulse Drive to Bravo

Notices

Re-rig/ Conversion pics from Pulse Drive to Bravo

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I definetely think the transom will outlive us all. It is very strong. It needs to be with all that Young Performance power in it.

. . . In case of nuclear attack . . . climb in bilge . . .

I dont know why it never occurred to me to run the grain on a 0-90 bias. Great idea!
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
. . . In case of nuclear attack . . . climb in bilge . . .

I dont know why it never occurred to me to run the grain on a 0-90 bias. Great idea!
Plywood is criss-crossed under the veneer anyway I thought. If you were to go at 45* there might be an advantage if you could find a big enough sheet
Attached Thumbnails Re-rig/ Conversion pics from Pulse Drive to Bravo-dsc01002.jpg   Re-rig/ Conversion pics from Pulse Drive to Bravo-dsc01176.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
What you are looking at is only the first layer of plywood. There are 2 more layers that went over that. That was put in that way to be able to fill the outside. I did not want to cut the outside of the transom and mess up the original glass and gelcoat. You just fill the outside and make it flush with what is already there. The inside then got 2 full layers of plywood with glass in between each layer and then over the top of the last layer. All layers of plywood are 90* to each other to prevent any flexing. It is probably stronger than it was, because the holes you see in the first pictures were open. They were there for the transmission to pass through the transom. Now the transom is solid and has the gimble tying it all together.
It is also almost a 1/2" thicker than it was. You guys are right, just patching a transom with a small piece of wood would not be sufficient in my opinion.

Eddie
Are you saying the old transom was thin and you added extra plywood over top the old?

Sure looks like it was patched, faired an glassed over to me, rather than just as a plug for glassing the outside.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Panther
Are you saying the old transom was thin and you added extra plywood over top the old?

Sure looks like it was patched, faired an glassed over to me, rather than just as a plug for glassing the outside.
They patched layer 1, and glassed in two more layers of plywood over that for a total of 3 layers. Many transoms are only two layers of plywood in the first place.

Should be plenty strong
Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Half an inch deeper should actually help lift the bow, as long as the prop is dialed in correctly.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
They patched layer 1, and glassed in two more layers of plywood over that for a total of 3 layers. Many transoms are only two layers of plywood in the first place.

Should be plenty strong
I dunno, just seems strange... Then why drill the holes for the tramsom assembly when you have two more layers of plywood to add? PLus, the glass work only goes out to the outter stringers, instead of the full width of the boat.

Maybe pictures of the whole project would have been usefull to show the stages but the pics posted sure do look like it was patched and the thickness once the transom is cut out appears to be about two inches, so the old transom must have been REALLY thin...not a boat I'd want to buy to begin with.

Not trying to start anything here but the extra pictures would have been really helpful.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

On mine, pictured above, we cut out the hole for the transom assy before we glassed the wood in so that we could use c-clamps as well as various jacks and boards, makes sure that everything is bonded immediately around the assy. They may have used the bolt holes for the same purpose

Last edited by Wobble; 03-11-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
..... so the old transom must have been REALLY thin...not a boat I'd want to buy to begin with.

Not trying to start anything here but the extra pictures would have been really helpful.
Wow, controversy on this thread?

OK, let's start with the necessary disclainer:

"This boat is not an Apache, nor was it ever an Apache. As far as I know, no Apache or other Native American tribesmen have ridden on this boat. This boat was once trailered not far behind a truck pulling an Apache, and an Apache owner once enjoyed riding in this boat when his Apache was broke."

There, now that that's out of the way, here's a picture of the original transom, cut to house the transmissions used for the pulsedrive. The transom is 2" thick and made from a microlaminate South American hardwood that I forgot the name of.
Attached Thumbnails Re-rig/ Conversion pics from Pulse Drive to Bravo-env_trans.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Nice. Thanks for the pics. Cool project. I've seen this boat on Clinton Lake. Are you going to relocate the sea strainers or can you access the tops from under the back seat?
I believe the sea strainers will stay where they are. You get to them through a hatch in the floor just in front of the back seat. Makes water flow checks nice and easy.
Attached Thumbnails Re-rig/ Conversion pics from Pulse Drive to Bravo-newbilge.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Frequency
There, now that that's out of the way, here's a picture of the original transom, cut to house the transmissions used for the pulsedrive. The transom is 2" thick and made from a microlaminate South American hardwood that I forgot the name of.
The transom was 2" before. It was mentioned that two additional layers of plywood were added over top of the old so how thick is it now, 3"?

Quick Reply: Re-rig/ Conversion pics from Pulse Drive to Bravo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.