496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter >

496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter

Notices

496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter

Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter

I think I have found Mercs OEM builder for this product and you can buy it for a fraction of the cost $16.00. Does anyone know if this is the same part? What other in line filters can be used?

The cut sheet
http://www.valinonline.com/support_d...8-025RAC09.pdf

A vendor
http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store...ectionid=10337

Last edited by 496mag; 03-05-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

I thought an inline filter on the 496 could cause them to vapor lock? the only filter on them is a micro screen on the fuel pump. At least that is what I found out when they first came out.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by the bear
I thought an inline filter on the 496 could cause them to vapor lock? the only filter on them is a micro screen on the fuel pump. At least that is what I found out when they first came out.
They initially did not have the automotive style inline filter on them between the tank and booster pump. It is my understanding that booster pumps started failing due to junk from new fuel tanks being sucked up into the pumps so they added the additional filter. I then read were there were problems with the inline filter plugging up and starving the booster pump which caused a whole new set of problems. On my 2004 boat, we eliminated the inline filter for this reason. I'm running solely off the water/fuel separating filter. No problems so far in 170 + hours. Hopefully someone more educated on this topic will chime in as to if it is a good idea to leave the inline filter off or not.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 03-05-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

We have done a couple high end in lines before the high pressure fuel pump....the billet kind for race cars....they have a removable mesh screen inside that an be cleaned.....they work well.....just check with Merc about the specific flow rate for your motor if you take this route.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Thats a good find. I changed mine over to automotive filters. I replaced the NPT fittings with barbed flare fittings available at any auto parts dept. Works well and cheap.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Thats a good find. I changed mine over to automotive filters. I replaced the NPT fittings with barbed flare fittings available at any auto parts dept. Works well and cheap.
Yep, there's your answer. Buy a bunch and change it frequently throughout the summer at the same time you do your separators and you should have no problem.

I think the biggest problem with the boost pumps are that they see the gas "BEFORE" the separator does, Hence the addition of the inline which really only catches the big junk, not the small junk.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reckless32

I think the biggest problem with the boost pumps are that they see the gas "BEFORE" the separator does, Hence the addition of the inline which really only catches the big junk, not the small junk.
You can get the good billet ones (100.00+) with custom flow rates and they filter down to microns...again you need to know what flow rate your motor requires....too little microns restrict the flow which will blow out your pump and send the sensors beeping.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

So what is the micron screening level for the 496 inline filter? I'm sure there's a post in the archives, i just don't have the time to search.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I'm running solely off the water/fuel separating filter. No problems so far in 170 + hours.
Me too.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful guys. The system operates around 40lbs. You can also find the inline filters with flare fittings and will be safer and easier to change in the future.

Quick Reply: 496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.