advice on installing aftermarket A/C >

advice on installing aftermarket A/C

Notices

advice on installing aftermarket A/C

Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default advice on installing aftermarket A/C

I like to spend the nite on the boat..well, actually, the lake patrol prefers i spend the nite on the boat instead of tryin to get it on the trailer after at nite at edock.. but in any case, ive been tryin to find an a/c unit that will fit in the boat and not have a huge modification or extensive wiring..

i came across this system and it claims:

DIGITAL PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT WITH 20' OF CABLE, REMOTE MOUNT ELECTRIC BOX, 5 YEAR WARRANTY (USA) AND RUBBER MOUNTING PAD INCLUDED.

Designed for boats up to 26 feet, or to cool sleeping compartments on larger boats.
Approximately 450 cubic feet
COOL ONLY UNIT: L-15" W-11.5" H-11.5
REVERSE CYCLE UNIT: L-18" W-12" H-11.5"

Smallest footprint on the market and weighs in at 31.5 lbs. for the unit, and 4.7 lbs for the electrical box! This unit has a rotatable blower and tapers down to a "V" shape for those odd angle discharge installations. We use 4” ducting and recommend a minimum of 2, 4” round supply grills with this installation. This unit will run off the new Honda eu1000i 1,000 watt portable generator, while in cool mode. Another option is to use a Statpower 1,000 Watt Inverter and 400 amp hours of battery power and you can anchor out (one average) for one night. Due to the construction of this unit, electric heat is not an option with this unit. This unit is ideal for the "tight fit" installations and is a welcomed addition to larger vessels for individual climate controlled cabins.

Running amperage: Cool = 4.4amps, R/C = 5.5amps. Add one amp for the standard seawater pump. Start up amperage is calculated by running amperage multiplied by 1.8.

How close do you think they really are on claiming it can run on batteries? I plan on installing the 1000 honda generator connected to my battery charger to keep things hummin when anchored out at the party coves and courtesy slips.

When i got the boat, i took out the vberth toilet because, welll, we all know what because that is.. the measurements show it would fit in that compartment perfectly and only weighing 31# shouldnt affect having the weight that far forward.

Any ideas are appreciated..
Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered

oops, heres the link and a picture of the unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merma...3756.m20.l1116
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont think that a 1000 watt inverter is going to work,and if you have to buy a gen. go for the eu2000.
Other than that what type of compressor does it have? What is the start up amps? If you dont think you will ever use the heat get the a/c unit only. It doesnt work the compressor as hard.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A/C? are you trying to turn the Sunny into the pimp palace? What's next, leopard print cockpit and cabin upholstery? There is no rear view mirror, where ya hanging the fuzzy dice?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
A/C? are you trying to turn the Sunny into the pimp palace? What's next, leopard print cockpit and cabin upholstery? There is no rear view mirror, where ya hanging the fuzzy dice?

ya.. after reviewing all the cool **** i wanted on a boat, its starting to seem that i could add most of it to mine and not have to worry about buyin another nitemare..

I dont need the heat at all, i cant seem to find one thats bigger than a carry-on thats only a/c and not combined a/c+heat..

as far as startup amps, if it was on a genny or shore power, it wouldnt matter, right? or would it kill the genny when it kicked on?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an A/C unit that is a portable house unit on wheels. It is 9000 btu and we have set it in the cockpit to blow directly down in the cabin. Kept it cold as an ice cube down there. It plugs into the 110 at the dock no problem. If we get the bigger boat this year as planned, we will most likely still use it rather than trying to add a permanent one. It is a little big and cumbersome to get on board, but it really isn't any worse than trying to put a hatch unit up on the deck.

As far as adding the things to your boat rather than buying another, I'd think that would be dead on. Your boat is a nice piece, it just hasn't been kept the best by its previous owners. once you sink your cash into her and get her where you want her, you'll be in good shape.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Look at the unit that Concept uses, I don't have the link. It uses a small pump and blower with ice from an onboard cooler. It seemed to work really well and was quiet on the one I saw in KW.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

JUNK!!!!!! Check the consumption of ice in an 8 hour period, it is insane!!! You would have to be near a store all the time to keep it working.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

Could alsways look for a portable one, like the Krusin Kool, packaged in a Samsonite suitcase. You can find them for $500. No mods, plug in, run on a Honda eu200 genny if need be.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered

ya $500 but for $800 i can get one used that i wont have to find storage for on the boat..its hard enough tryin to find places for ice chests, all the girls duffle bags and the bodies..

Quick Reply: advice on installing aftermarket A/C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.