Notices

OSO Poker Run ??

Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Xchoke03
Looking forward to joining the NJPPC and joining in on the FUN !!!

Good Luck Paradox , i would love to come to your event in the Sunshine State !!!
Thanks X.. but it's not really "my event" .. I'm just trying to get a feel of all the OSO and do somethng as a group effort.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our run is different then most.
It is a event for the whole community, not just the poker run boats.
We are located in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and have a lot of tourist, so we try and offer things for everyone. You don't have to own a boat to come to town and have a awesome time.
Although the boats and the run are the center of attraction it is not the only thing we have for people to do.
We try to change things each year. Try and make it better every year and keep things fresh.
Besides the run, one of the things that has aways been a big hit is the champlain cruise, we have a fleet of yachts that take people out for a cruise and then raft up and watch all the poker run boats come in and pick up there last card and then speed away.
We limit the number of boats so we can keep it safe and it is easier to manage. This year we are having 2 groups, 1 for the slower boats and 1 for the faster ones.
Also this year we will be blocking off the streets in downtown and having things on display, boats, trucks, motorcycles ect... A giant street party.
But the thing that the poker runners love the most is the beautiful area, lakes so clean you can drink the water. We give them the best food possible and we try and create a gentlemanly atmosphere.

I wish you luck in putting together a OSO Poker Run.
Keep in mind it takes us over 100 dedicated volunteers.
We have a Board Of Directors and it is very seldom that all 10 of us can agree on something. And most of us board members work year around to make it a success.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks JB4. Good things you got going. I know it takes a lot of time and planning but if yo have the passion for boating like I do, I guess you will dedicate the time to it when you want something.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 AM
cloke

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
Our run is different then most.
It is a event for the whole community, not just the poker run boats.
We are located in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and have a lot of tourist, so we try and offer things for everyone. You don't have to own a boat to come to town and have a awesome time.
Although the boats and the run are the center of attraction it is not the only thing we have for people to do.
We try to change things each year. Try and make it better every year and keep things fresh.
Besides the run, one of the things that has aways been a big hit is the champlain cruise, we have a fleet of yachts that take people out for a cruise and then raft up and watch all the poker run boats come in and pick up there last card and then speed away.
We limit the number of boats so we can keep it safe and it is easier to manage. This year we are having 2 groups, 1 for the slower boats and 1 for the faster ones.
Also this year we will be blocking off the streets in downtown and having things on display, boats, trucks, motorcycles ect... A giant street party.
But the thing that the poker runners love the most is the beautiful area, lakes so clean you can drink the water. We give them the best food possible and we try and create a gentlemanly atmosphere.

I wish you luck in putting together a OSO Poker Run.
Keep in mind it takes us over 100 dedicated volunteers.
We have a Board Of Directors and it is very seldom that all 10 of us can agree on something. And most of us board members work year around to make it a success.
I like what I read . When where where do you sign up?????????

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Keep in mind the insurance for these events has gotten expensive.
I have found the insurance to be relatively inexpensive. However compliance with the warranty provisions of the policies to be a large hurdle and expensive.

BESAFE provides a free guide to aide in the establishment of a safety management system to mitigate risk and compliance with provisions of the insurance policies.

www.BOATINGSAFE.org
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

ask Otis about a non $ event... he's had is part... of blame... I would not organize something like that officially and don't get paid... I would, before I read Otis tread. He did his best, voluntary, and gets

So, non $ event = simple get together run
$ event = be ready to take on
Old 03-08-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by cloke
I like what I read . When where where do you sign up?????????

Just go to the link down below, www.boynethunder.com
It has has the form and all the info you will need.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Thanks JB4. Good things you got going. I know it takes a lot of time and planning but if yo have the passion for boating like I do, I guess you will dedicate the time to it when you want something.
I would as suggest that if you really want to make it a real OSO event, you should not have it in Florida. There are to many of them there now.
You should do a poll and see where the OSO members would want it. Some place in the USA where there isn't one now. You would have to also look at where the majority of the members lived and have it somewhere in the middle. That would be a true OSO Poker Run.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We sponsored one here on Lake Lanier in '05 and the insurance for the day was $800 and when we tried again in '06 it jumped to 6k for less than 50 boats
Old 03-08-2008, 12:46 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Entry fees can cover cost and allow for some sort of a pot to divide for the winners BUT the real prize money usually comes from having a calcutta and bidding on the boats. Divide the pot into whatever number of winners BUT the the captain of the winning boats get 25% of the payout. These type of calcutta pots can become extremely large. Of course you try and buy your own boat and whoever else's.

Quick Reply: OSO Poker Run ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.