Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ??? about buying a boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181755-about-buying-boat.html)

niceguy 03-09-2008 05:24 PM

??? about buying a boat

Ok so I am kinda new to making big purchases with items, when paying in cash.... not financing.

Say you found a boat you like and you live 1000 miles away. You find a surveyor and everything checks out. You've talked to the seller and feel comfortable with the purchase and want to buy it.

Here's my question.... do you drive the 1000 miles with say (just for example purpose) 50k dollars cash and meet the seller in person? DO you use a wire transfer from the bank and trust the seller to meet you with the boat?

Would you feel comfortable counting out and somehow verifying all the bills are real?

Please let me know what you guys have done in the past.

Thanks

CAP071 03-09-2008 05:27 PM

I don't give the guy a penny in cash until I'm there picking up the boat to take it home. Or I will wire it into his account after everything checks out and I'm there to pick it up.

orss 03-09-2008 05:28 PM

go see the boat, put a deposit after all paper are ok and them do the rest of the money via wire transfer.

H20 Toie 03-09-2008 05:33 PM

See the boat in person.

I flew to OK to look at boat, liked it, gave him a deposit and had the money transfered when i went and picked it up.

Sure it costs a little more money and time that way but at least you are sure of what you are getting.

offthefront 03-09-2008 05:41 PM

SEE the BOAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no matter what the Survey sez ..... you can wire a depost ..say 1000.00 on a 50K boat ..then when you go see the boat and it all checks out ..then have your bank wire the rest to his bank ...His bank can confirm the transfer .....m

niceguy 03-09-2008 05:43 PM

Can the transfer be done instantly, or does it take a few days?

I own my own business and cannot be gone out of town for days at a time. Not to mention, the time taken to drive back with the boat if it works out.

Top Ven 03-09-2008 05:52 PM

I Went to Texas (from NJ ) to look at a Cigarette, i spoke with the owner a few times agreed on a price, i flew with a $ 5,000. check, and it was either give him the check and make the deal or walk away, we loved the boat, bought it wired money to his bank, and 3 years later it was the BEST thing we ever did, PS ijust bought our dully from Miss.

H20 Toie 03-09-2008 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by niceguy (Post 2477877)
Can the transfer be done instantly, or does it take a few days?

I own my own business and cannot be gone out of town for days at a time. Not to mention, the time taken to drive back with the boat if it works out.

Yes the transfer can be done the same day.

If you can't drive then hire a transport company.

Top Ven 03-09-2008 05:57 PM

dually not dully

offthefront 03-09-2008 06:09 PM

I flew out of Jacksonville Florida on a Friday Morning @ 6:30am ...Got into Minneapolis about 11 am ... Drove 1.5 hours to check out a boat ...Made the deal ...drove back to the airport and was in Jax about 11:30pm .... the boat arrived in jax the following wed ....