Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Good point, that would be a great test run. Maybe i should put a full canopy on it
i got some old ww II helmets around here somewhere... that should be good enough...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats!! I hope you have a great turn out so this will be year to year race and maybe by next year I will be put back together and my boat to If you have a good turn out would you add lid and non lid boats cause a svl will kill a p5,6 boat or f1. Thanks good luck and how is the 28ss coming out. art ps I saw MIKE SNOW on sunday he looks in good shape. He loved his banana boats. art
Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered

No outboard class???
Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Yes,there will be outboard classes if needed !!Bring'em on,we would love to see the o/b vee,s and cats show up !
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to clear some things up. Outboards can run, Canopy boats can run, open boats can run, turbine boats can run, single boats can run.

The classes have few limitations.

For example a Stock Outboard would run in the Modern twin engine not to exceed.

A SVL would run in Modern Single engine.

We want to keep this very simple, fun, enjoyable, safe, and memorable.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

peppers will be making the run. cant wait
mike stancombe
Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
Don't ya have a 20 cig in the shop?
Now you're talkin'....
Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

HORBA has the exclusive rights to use the name of Don Aronow for this race. But, we are very pleased to be able to share the weekend with the OSS people and the great town of Sunny Isles Beach.

Our intent from the beginning of our existence, was to educate the public about the great and colorful history of this sport.

In keeping with that objective, the Aronow family has allowed HORBA to use the Don Aronow name, for this type of open ocean powerboat race, as this is the type of racing that Don did and they can relate to.

We are looking for sponsors for many areas of this race weekend. Any potential sponsors please contact me through an e-mail to the site, www.historicraceboats.com, or with a PM here.

Friday night we hope to have a gathering at the awards ceremony of a lot of the old racers that are still with us to hear some of the old war stories. Brownie, Mel Riggs, Bobby Saccenti, Odell Lewis, Richie Powers, Steve Sirois, Bobby Moore, Preston Henn, Rocky Aoki, Bill Elswick, Bill Wishnick, George Pironi, etc. etc. and hopefully John Crouse will be able to make it too.

We are looking for a sponsor(s) to put on a dinner for the old racers. We are looking for film crews that would be interested in covering the race and the old racer discussion and awards ceremony.

Proceeds will go to a charity. The Aronow family is reviewing a few of them now and will let us know their choice.

I can't say enough how much tenacity Brad Schoenwald has shown in seeing this thing through. We all owe him a great deal of thanks.

We want this to be an experience for all those who never ran this type of race before. We want it to be fun for all involved.
That is why we are trying to keep it as simple as possible and as open as possible so that anyone with an interest may experience it.

We look forward to the support of the many that have told us over the years...."If you ever run a race like that, count on me being there!" We hope they will enjoy airing out their hulls like we used to do, in the first photo.

The boat in the second photo was a 17 foot Formula that was "stretched" by a beak, to make the minimum 20 foot length requirement. The co-driver sat outside the boat on a bracket. The driver sat with his legs on either side of the engine under glass. This boat came in second in the Long Beach to San Francisco race. Oh yeah, Brownie rode in the co-driver seat one time, he can tell you what it was really like to be an outboard on a bracket.

Charlie McCarthy
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race-horba-book0007-small-.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race-horba-proposal0001-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 03-11-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I get goosebumps just thinking about it.......
Old 03-11-2008, 07:28 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Brownie,

I wish the best of luck and a safe race.

It would be cool to see this become an annual event.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.