Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SCAM or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181875-scam-not.html)

eeasy 03-11-2008 09:03 AM

SCAM or not?

I replied to an OSO classified for this vehicle and here is the response I got back. I know I have seen a thread somewhere about these scams. The ad has since been pulled. I noticed that he has the word boat in his message as well. Thanks

Hi, and thank you for looking at my ad.
The car you were viewing is a 2007 Range Rover Supercharged with only 3800 miles , has a clean title, with no liens or loans,I am the original owner, non-smoker, responsible driver.
It is in virtually brand new condition, with no existing or previous damage to any of the engine, transmission, paint or bodywork.
The car is being sold to help pay for major investment.
I have set the price at $47,000.00 in hope of a fast sale, with no further negotiation accepted.
As you can probably tell, I have a very busy schedule , I'm working in the Drilling Industry (28 days in a row in Alaska and 7 days days home) so I'm keen on selling the
boat only through eBay, which is to every one's benefit. If you're not familiar with the neutral third party, it works like this. After the transaction is started, you are invited to deposit the amount in a neutral account which eBay controls. After the amount is deposited, I am invited to send you the boat for a 15 days inspection period during which you need to decide whether to accept the boat or not.
If you reject it, your deposit is refunded and I have to arrange shipping back for the boat. If you choose to accept the boat, you have to give consent so that the money is transferred to me. This works for me because I see the money exists and is held by eBay, in a secured account. It works for you too because the deposit is also insured by eBay.
If you are sure about the boat and want to go ahead this way, I will need to know your name and the shipping address to start the transaction.
Sincerely,
Thomas

Samurai87 03-11-2008 09:06 AM

that just stinks of scam

cosmic12 03-11-2008 09:14 AM

Its a boat-----aaaa no its a truck aaaa something don't smell right

PhantomChaos 03-11-2008 09:31 AM

LOL......amazing! :D

tomtbone1993 03-11-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by eeasy (Post 2479946)
I replied to an OSO classified for this vehicle and here is the response I got back. I know I have seen a thread somewhere about these scams. The ad has since been pulled. I noticed that he has the word boat in his message as well. Thanks

Hi, and thank you for looking at my ad.
The car you were viewing is a 2007 Range Rover Supercharged with only 3800 miles , has a clean title, with no liens or loans,I am the original owner, non-smoker, responsible driver.
It is in virtually brand new condition, with no existing or previous damage to any of the engine, transmission, paint or bodywork.
The car is being sold to help pay for major investment.
I have set the price at $47,000.00 in hope of a fast sale, with no further negotiation accepted.
As you can probably tell, I have a very busy schedule , I'm working in the Drilling Industry (28 days in a row in Alaska and 7 days days home) so I'm keen on selling the
boat only through eBay, which is to every one's benefit. If you're not familiar with the neutral third party, it works like this. After the transaction is started, you are invited to deposit the amount in a neutral account which eBay controls. After the amount is deposited, I am invited to send you the boat for a 15 days inspection period during which you need to decide whether to accept the boat or not.
If you reject it, your deposit is refunded and I have to arrange shipping back for the boat. If you choose to accept the boat, you have to give consent so that the money is transferred to me. This works for me because I see the money exists and is held by eBay, in a secured account. It works for you too because the deposit is also insured by eBay.
If you are sure about the boat and want to go ahead this way, I will need to know your name and the shipping address to start the transaction.
Sincerely,
Thomas

So you really thought you could get a 96K car with 3800 miles for 47K?

sellsman11 03-11-2008 10:32 AM

If it seems too good to be true........................:rolleyes:

packinair 03-11-2008 11:07 AM

what ad?

tomtbone1993 03-11-2008 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by packinair (Post 2480139)
what ad?

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o21628-en.html

eeasy 03-11-2008 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993 (Post 2480033)
So you really thought you could get a 96K car with 3800 miles for 47K?

That's only a 50% depreciation in a few months.

Skullkrusher 03-11-2008 04:00 PM

There is not even a remote possibility that its legit.