Any fork lift mechanics out there? >

Any fork lift mechanics out there?

Notices

Any fork lift mechanics out there?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Any fork lift mechanics out there?

I am looking for some help with some questions I have on an older Clark fork lift. It is a 1979 C30, 4000 lb unit with LP engine. It has a 3 stage mask and the ram is leaking pretty good. A dealer suggested 'repacking' the ram (new seals?) and I would like to know if this is something I can do or if special tools are needed to be successful.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 12-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Repacking the MAST is not that big a deal. The seal kits are pretty cheap. It can be done in a couple of hours or maybe a little over with the learning curve.

I think all you need is a large crescent wrench, sockets, hammer, punches, pliers. You might need a way to lift the cylinder out if you can't pick it up by hand.

You jut put a block of wood under the mast and tilt it forward. That takes the tension off of it. Then take the cotter pins out, and knock the pin out of the chain. Take out 4 bolts, loosen the lines and its free.

There are detailed instructions in the packing kit for the cylinder itself. I would recommend changing the hydraulic filter at the same time, since you will have new fluid.

If you have any questions, I can probably answer them or you can talk to my mechanic. I have 12 lifts from 2000 to 30,000 lbs. so we have done this a few times
Old 12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Rick get ahold of Obnoxus he used to do that for a living...right here in Il.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My HS buddy owns Calumet Lift Truck in Cal City. His name is Grag Aloia. Call him and see if he can help you.
Originally Posted by rv
I am looking for some help with some questions I have on an older Clark fork lift. It is a 1979 C30, 4000 lb unit with LP engine. It has a 3 stage mask and the ram is leaking pretty good. A dealer suggested 'repacking' the ram (new seals?) and I would like to know if this is something I can do or if special tools are needed to be successful.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the input, I will check into this.

Rick
Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Rick,
I am in heavy highway construction and need to rebuild rams all the time. We take them off the machines and send them out to a hydraulic shop. It is cheaper for us to have them do it then pay our mechanics to do it and it is warantied. If you do it yourself, you have to be careful to make sure the seals are seated properly and you don't ding the lift cylinder otherwise you will be doing it again.