Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2nd fire at ''northpoint'' (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/182097-2nd-fire-northpoint.html)

dmaxx3500 03-13-2008 11:03 PM

2nd fire at ''northpoint''

i heard there was a 2nd fire at ''northpoint harbor '' today at the il/wis border on lake michigan

yss 03-13-2008 11:07 PM

I saw the foam fire truck headed that way around 12:30 today. Didn't hear about the first fire let alone this one.

yss 03-13-2008 11:09 PM

Found the first one.

A four-alarm fire at a Winthrop Harbor boat storage warehouse Friday destroyed dozens of watercraft worth an estimated $12 million but caused no injuries, Winthrop Harbor Fire Chief Neal Wollert said.

At least 75 to 100 boats were stored for the winter at SkipperBud's, located at the North Point Marina, 250 North Point Drive. The fire began shortly before 8:30 a.m., when the first call was made to emergency services, officials said.

"[There is] nothing yet on the cause," Wollert said late Friday. "It's under investigation. The office of the state fire marshal just arrived at the scene."

A man had been working on a boat before the fire started at SkipperBud's, which repairs and showcases boats at the marina, said Ron Levin, deputy chief for the Winthrop Harbor Fire Department.

"The fire started in the northwest corner of the building," said Levin, adding that firefighters had to attack the fire from outside because they could not get inside. "It's way in the back. And these boats are packed in so tight, we couldn't get to it."

Nearly two dozen fire departments from Illinois and Wisconsin responded to the blaze, which took about six hours to put out, officials said. Firefighters used foam and equipment for aircraft fires with the help of the Waukegan and Kenosha airports and Abbott Laboratories of North Chicago, according to a news release.

A sprinkler system slowed the progress of the fire, which was concentrated on seven large boats, officials said.

Marina officials could not be reached for comment.

Its Web site states that SkipperBud's includes a heated showroom displaying 27-foot to 55-foot boats and yachts, as well as a floating display with more than 45 boats.

obsessed1 03-14-2008 06:16 AM

Fire was in the same building as the first one. I heard it was a bucket truck that started on fire. Not nearly as bad as the first one.

Downtown42 03-14-2008 08:58 AM

geeez

dykstra 03-14-2008 09:00 AM

That sux:(

DENNYB 03-14-2008 01:55 PM

It was a fork lift truck fire and six fire department resopnded to the call shortly after noon on Thursday.The local fire department ended up putting out the fork lift fire with foam. No damage to the buildings at all. It was a Quick response sending six different fire departments that surround Winthrop Harbor. Probably because of what happened recently from the storage facility blaze a month ago.

baddogz28 03-14-2008 02:05 PM

Definitely scares me about keeping my boat there... Shopping marinas right now.

Back4More 03-14-2008 03:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Day after the big one...some boats looked as if they would clean up.

rv 03-15-2008 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 2484557)
It was a fork lift truck fire and six fire department resopnded to the call shortly after noon on Thursday.The local fire department ended up putting out the fork lift fire with foam. No damage to the buildings at all. It was a Quick response sending six different fire departments that surround Winthrop Harbor. Probably because of what happened recently from the storage facility blaze a month ago.

I heard it was the bucket truck NOT the fork lift. Where did you get that info?