Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stingray Boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/182116-stingray-boats.html)

mittens 03-14-2008 11:13 AM

Stingray Boats?

What are some of your thoughts on this brand, found a 2004 230 sx, hot looking boat. fast and sounds goo dand a good price. just do not know alot about the brand?

Thanks,

obnoxus 03-14-2008 11:18 AM

I work on a few of them,,,seem to be well built, but they are a flatter deadrise which gets them the higher speed, but they ride a bit rougher.

Depending on where you boat,,, that may or may not be an issue.

CigDaze 03-14-2008 11:19 AM

They're decent boats. I would rate them a 6 out of 10...nothing spectacular, but a bit better than average. My dad had on when I was a kid, a 23 footer. It was solid, treated us well for many years.

Sydwayz 03-14-2008 11:20 AM

Where do you plan to boat?
What do you plan to do with the boat? Poker Run? Overnight? Run around the local lake? River? Ocean? Bay?

The Stingray is a great boat for running around your average family lake. However, if you are getting anything over 18" to 24" of chop, you are going to have a really rough ride.

------

It was actually the Stingray 230SX that got me interested in go-fast boats. My Dad called me and told me you could get it with the 502/415, and the red hull looked just like a Vette, and I said "that's badass; the hell with PWC racing." I held out and bought a Sonic with a 500EFI instead, but the Stingray is what got me interested.

cigrocket 03-14-2008 11:25 AM

Good for a lake, I saw one run in the 70's with 496 ho. Looked like a good ride, but it was smooth. Depends on your needs.

mittens 03-14-2008 11:36 AM

its got a 496 ho in it, and I boat on the tennessee river so not to rough water, weeked trips, so the cabin is a good thing, at the most it gets a 2 foot chop and thats once maybe twice a year. so thats fine. just wanted to check the quality of the brand, like do not want to but a bayliner, but would by a searay, is it better than a baja? that kind of thing.

DRIPPINWETII 03-14-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by pontiac (Post 2484382)
its got a 496 ho in it, and I boat on the tennessee river so not to rough water, weeked trips, so the cabin is a good thing, at the most it gets a 2 foot chop and thats once maybe twice a year. so thats fine. just wanted to check the quality of the brand, like do not want to but a bayliner, but would by a searay, is it better than a baja? that kind of thing.

I owned a 230sx,fun boat,fast but rough ride.
It is not as well built as a baja of the same year.

CigDaze 03-14-2008 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by pontiac (Post 2484382)

I'd rate Baja above Stingray.

vortex5021 03-14-2008 12:19 PM

Stingray

My first boat was a Stingray Maxim 275 with twin 350 Mags. Boat ran 67 mph with nose cones on the Alphas. Before purchase I went down to the factory in Hartsville, SC to see them made and was impressed enough to buy it. this was in 1989. A friend had a 222 Maxim with a 454 Mag that ran around 70 mph. Since then they've come out with a newer hull design called a ZP or ZX or something that is even faster. On a 10 scale, I would give them a 6 as far as overall quality in the build. As mentioned in previous posts..a pretty fast lake boat, but not for offshore.

UNSANE 03-14-2008 12:23 PM

I had a 220SX with a 350Mag. Ran about 63 on a good day. Like everyone else is saying, they are great, fun boats. But the lack of deadrise will pound you in rougher water. That's their only drawback.