Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Notices

Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Anyone went that way? Should I go with plane? or helicopter?

if you have the helicopter license, can you fly a plane? wich one is the most / less expensive?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont' think you can have an open container on a helicopter when flying it......can you?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Registered

it would cost less...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

If you think offshore is expensive, try flying. The initial expense of the aircraft certainly isn't going to be the problem, as there are many GREAT options for aircraft that can be purchased for a lot less than some boats. Where you're going to get the awakening is in the cost of maintenance- mandatory inspections, bulletins and directives, and the cost of parts.
Alot depends on what kind of flying you want to do- local, recreational, business, etc. I'm a property owner in Canada, and have flown floats up there many times. I would give that a look considering the amount of water up there and the amount of fun water flying can open up over normal land-based aircraft. Amphibs take care of both options.
Forget helicopters. High insurance, VERY hard to master the art of flying them, short range, and a very high rate of accidents/incidents. Plus, IMHO, wings should be firmly bolted in place.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. You have to try them. Take a one hour introductory lesson. I thought the helicopter was about three times as much fun as a single engine fixed wing, but also three times as expensive. As a rule, flying is very expensive (figure about $10-12K a year), but there are options for cuttng costs. In the US, we have a new license class called Sport Pilot. You can't fly at night, can only fly in good weather, and can only carry one passenger, but the planes cost about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of traditional certifed planes. You can go the "experimental" plane route, too, which allows you to do your own maintenance, also a big cost saving.

Michael
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Leave boating to FLY.Man,if the boat stops running,I can swim.But if the plane stops running I can't fly one stroke, Just my 2 cents.I work at the air port on planes lot of people fly and love it.You have to do what you thinks right. JOHN
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 AM
Registered

Good answers from everyone. I agree, you should go for an introductory flight on both, to see which one you like. In short you can get a private pilots license (airplane) in as little as 50 hours of instruction, as someone stated above, you can add endorsements like a float rating later as you progress. A helicopter license is similar only it is unlikely that most people will be proficient in the minimal amount of time and therefore it is more reasonable to get a commercial license in 100 hours of instruction. A training fixed wing aircraft will cost about $75-$100 per hour and a rotary wing aircraft will be $300-$350 per hour. End result is, as someone stated above, a basic fixed wing license will cost you around $10000 and helicopter license around 30000. To purchase an aircraft; a small airplane can be bought for as little as $20000 and up and a two seat helicopter for maybe $100000 and the sky is the limit – pun intended. These are Canadian regulations and rough prices that I’m quoting above, but the US should be very similar. I have extensive experience on both and would be happy to answer any specific questions. My only advice is; don’t turn your hobby into a career..., You’ll loose your hobby.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

I'm a professional pilot and it aint cheap brother!!
The maintenance aspect is governed by the FAA or your case the CAA and MOT.
Canadian is more striengent and inspections and repairing are the LAW and mandatory. Besides you must keep your health up. heart problem your grounded for example but you can still drive the boat. etc etc etc.
But if you had a helicopter you could cover the races for us!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Registered

I've flown both, if your going to helicopters get your fixed wing first, the hours count and it is much cheaper to learn how to navigate etc in a plane, then switch over to the heli. I did so I have experience in both. The sport plane is a good option and you don't need a medical to fly one, just a drivers license for your medical. New sport planes are 80,00 and up you get what ou pay for.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Big and Expensive mistake. (Even more expensive than Offshore Boating if you believe that)

In my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Leaving Boating For Plane Or Helicopter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.