Old 03-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

at least production isnt going to china or mexico and is staying in the US
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
if they would only buy Bayliner..then I could get an 18' bowrider, with a twin stepped hull and staggered 850's for under 13K. Complete with 90 day hull warrenty.
Yeah, maybe....but it would only be 14 feet long
Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziChick
I think, RG correct me if I'm wrong, the only other big employer there is a rubber hosing factory.
Donzi Honey, you're not even close. You're thinking of Swan but they are pretty well closed now. We still have Mennel Milling, Bucyrus Blades, Caraustar, GE, Timken, Rush Pattern Works, Ryder Heil Bronze, IB Tech, Advanced Fiber, Arctic Cat, Total Warehousing, Precision Tech, Pickings ..... Those are all in Bucyrus, plus Galion, Crestline and Upper Sandusky are all within 15 miles of here and they all have industry there as well.

Heres the article from the local paper .......

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com...EWS01/80320009

BUCYRUS — Baja Marine, a powerboat maker that originated in Bucyrus, has struggled in recent months.

The knockout blow for the facility at 1520 Isaac Beal Road came Thursday when employees were informed the plant would be closed and is being sold by its parent company, Brunswick, to Fountain Powerboat Industries, Inc., of Washington, N. C.

Employees were informed of the move Thursday and received a letter from Baja president, David Olson. The Bucyrus plant currently employs approximately 285 people.

The Telegraph-Forum received a copy of Olson’s letter to employees and it reads in part, “As announced today, Baja will be selling certain assets of Baja Boats to Fountain Powerboat Industries, Inc., . . . As a result of that action, we will be permanently closing this plant facility over the next four months, consistent with the end of the 2008 model year.”

Baja had already reduced its work force by 40 jobs in October from the Sea Ray line of boats produced at Bucyrus, and laid off another 42 people in November. According to employees, all but approximately 80 people are expected to lose their jobs in May.

The remainder will stay employed until the plant is completely closed, some time within the following two months.

Olson’s letter verifies the date of lay-off will be May 23 and says those employees continuing to work until then will be “eligible for a stay bonus, based on years of service . . .”

The letter also says the layoffs will be permanent.

David Williamson, Crawford County Economic Development Director, has been aware of the pending situation. Williamson would not comment on specifics, but acknowledged the impact it would have on the community, one with an unemployment rate already higher than the state average.

“The loss of any job to the community is contrary to what we’re trying to do,” Williamson said, adding his goal has been and will continue to be improving the local job market in terms of numbers and quality of jobs. “It (a Baja closure) would certainly be a great disappointment to us and we would have to redouble our efforts.”

Baja began operations in 1956 in a facility on Jones Street and has had a history of financial problems mixed in with periods of strong growth and expansion.

The company closed its doors and filed for bankruptcy protection in early 1994. At that time it listed its assets at $13.27 million and liabilities of $18.1 million. It was then the fourth largest employer in Bucyrus.

The plant reopened when Ray Industries took over the company later that year.
Brunswick purchased the company in 1995.

Olson was not available for comment and his secretary referred further inquiries to Brunswick.

A news release from Brunswick through Media Relations and Corporate Communications Director Daniel Kubera, announced the sale to Fountain Powerboats and said, “Brunswick plans to end production of Baja boats in Bucyrus, Ohio, by the end of May, consistent with the end of the 2008 model year.”

Calling the sale of Baja a “strategic decision to further refine our product portfolio . . .,” the release quoted Brunswick Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dustan E. McCoy.

“This action in no way reflects upon Baja or the abilities and performance of the Bucyrus work force. We believe, however, that Baja and its dealers will ultimately benefit from being a part of Fountain Powerboats, a company that, like Baja, is a leader in high-performance boats.”

Reggie Fountain, an accomplished offshore racer, is CEO of Fountain Powerboats, Inc. The company makes sport boats, fish boats and cruisers.

Located on the coast of North Carolina, Fountain Powerboats has a 66-acre site with a 225,000-square foot factory and marina.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I see a lot of post saying poor town..............poor employees. These severance packages are usually a pretty sweet deal. Everyone I know thats gotten one could not be any more happy. I would love nothing more than to be laid off right before summer with a paycheck that covers my annual salary plus benefits.

if its a small town,prob not many other jobs there,what about after the package$$ runs out,move?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

at least production isnt going to china or mexico and is staying in the US

I bet their working on that as a possibility...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus, isn't Checkmate - the new owner was the former owner of Baja - located in the same town?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

will new Baja's come with beaks??

at steps

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I see a lot of post saying poor town..............poor employees. These severance packages are usually a pretty sweet deal. Everyone I know thats gotten one could not be any more happy. I would love nothing more than to be laid off right before summer with a paycheck that covers my annual salary plus benefits.
Really?

I actually deal with M&A professionally and can tell you that for most people that is not the case. Sure some at the top make out well, the rest get a check for a while, have to bid farewell to friends and find a new job in a tough economy. Heck, I know a bunch of executives that do make out well and still have to have counseling to understand how to deal with those types of issues. It is especially bad in a production based company. The local economy also takes a nice hit.

That does not mean that I discourage that type of activity. If companies don't get lean it is often the only option to enhance shareholder value and that is the basis for the whole market.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
Plus, isn't Checkmate - the new owner was the former owner of Baja - located in the same town?
Yes.
Doug Smith bought Checkmate last year.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
Checkmate is right down the street from Baja.

Quick Reply: Fountain Aquired Baja

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.