Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   400 MPH on H2O (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/182771-400-mph-h2o.html)

PARADOX 03-22-2008 11:55 PM

400 MPH on H2O

WOW !!!

Pretty cool.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...g/1277281.html

:evilb:

Clay Washington 03-23-2008 08:38 AM

Good Grief! I can think of alot of things I would rather do with $5 million! :eek:

Ron P 03-23-2008 10:00 AM

Warby has been there, done that. Wicks is still playing with software.

Raylar 03-23-2008 12:52 PM

Where Is The Future ??

I love to see innovation and development, but there comes a point where speed on the water almost becomes pointless and damaging to our sport of performance boating and the performance boating industry in general.
First as one of my sayings quotes, "nothing is impossible, it just costs more!"
Second, I think it would be more cost effective to just purchase a surplus, air worthy F-18 and make a over the water pass with the gear up and a small appendage of the underbelly just skimming the water at 400MPH plus and Whola, You Got The Record!!
In either case there is a better than 50-50 odds that someone is going to die trying and that will make the network news and all these gorey crash videos!
Whats it do for our industry and sport, NOTH'IN, IT HURTS IT ! plain and simple. The "How you're Gonna Live" Activists will start screaming that in a time of carbon over production, noise poolution and high fuel and oil costs that performance boating is a damaging, wasteful and most importantly an"Expendable" sport and pastime !
I am sorry, but I am not here to feed speedfreaks EGOS!
I know some of you benchracers are glued to your computer, fighting off winter boredom and weather not right for boating time i, but Wake UP! and see the forest thru the trees!
We as a group and industry should be more pro-active and work on things like how do we get a 32 foot fiberglass performance boat produced with power for around a $100K.
How do we get a performance boat that can cruise a 60mph to get 5 miles to the gallon doing it! How do we make power a little more enviromentaly friendly with respect to noise and pollution levels?
How do we present a better public image to the general boating public?
These are the things we as an Industry and SPORT should really "GET INTO", support and get excited about !!
Why? you say, because if we don't start doing it now, we are not going to be here in ten years! and that ain't a long time away!
I know these "over the top" things sound and look "Cool", but unless you just want to dream and try and remember the "good old days", we had better get up off our lazy "Computer Butts" and put our support and enthusiasm into preserving our wondeful sport of performance boating!

PARADOX 03-23-2008 01:08 PM

Ray. I do agree with you.
But the idea and their efforts are "cool" and interesting, even if it may not be appropriate, or a waste of $'s. IE; Military wastes billions and never get into use, but it is "cool" and interesting of what men and it's infinity supidity dreams up, and spends $.
I might be infinitly stupid also with infinite amount of $.

AB From Windsor 03-23-2008 04:21 PM

Ken Warby is a living legend. Who is Russ Wicks? I wish Russ and all other new comers who want to try and break Ken Warby's 317.60 mph World Speed Record on water, the best of luck.

Njawb 03-23-2008 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2496218)
I might be infinitly stupid also with infinite amount of $.

If you have an infinite amount of money, could I have half?

DMOORE 03-23-2008 09:29 PM

I don't think this has a negative impact on boating at all. I love the competition and technology these guys bring to boating. And I respect the serious balls it takes for Ken to do what he does. The same goes for off shore racing. As for a crash hurting the sport, no way. If a land speed racer crashed, would it hurt the auto industry? I think not.

Darrell.

ScottB 03-23-2008 09:32 PM

Russ Wicks is full of chit, He has had nothing but designs and a website for years:Whatever:

dreamer 03-23-2008 09:41 PM

that article was in 04.... it 08 have they even run yet