Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Copeland (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183000-copeland.html)

BROWNIE 03-26-2008 07:31 AM

Copeland

You guys are grieving over Al. That's good, but my memories of him have no grief attached. When I think of him, I see he and Bill Sirois (another great loss) setting the world offshore class one speed record at 148+ mph WHILE ON FIRE! Wish I had done that........ I am going to do a column on Al very soon for HB. What a character......

AB From Windsor 03-26-2008 07:38 AM

Looking forward to seeing your column.

Chris Sunkin 03-26-2008 07:47 AM

My memory of Al comes from a race in the mid-80's at Grand Haven Michigan. John Delia was on the dock ripping his son's ass for something that happened out on the course. He was totally humiliating the kid right on the dock. Copeland is pulling the Popeye's boat into a slip- it's not even tied off and he's out of it and on to the dock. Makes a beeline for Al Jr. and hugs him like he's not seen him in a year. Jr. was probably 18 at the time. I remember thinking that I wanted a relationaship like that with my son someday. 20 some years later, I do. In part because I've always remembered that moment- knowing what was truly important.

I also remember Al Jr's stunningly hot, blonde 18-year-old girlfriend. :)

7xchamp 03-26-2008 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 2499973)
You guys are grieving over Al. That's good, but my memories of him have no grief attached. When I think of him, I see he and Bill Sirois (another great loss) setting the wolrd offshore class one speed record at 148+ mph WHILE ON FIRE! Wish I had done that........ I am going to do a column on Al very soon for HB. What a character......

Almost forgot: Al`s favorite " Let the good times Roll "

sal cimino 03-26-2008 08:23 AM

That Stunningly Hot Blonde Is Now His Wife Of Many Years And A Personal Friend Of Mine..

Biggus 03-26-2008 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2499988)
My memory of Al comes from a race in the mid-80's at Grand Haven Michigan. John Delia was on the dock ripping his son's ass for something that happened out on the course. He was totally humiliating the kid right on the dock. Copeland is pulling the Popeye's boat into a slip- it's not even tied off and he's out of it and on to the dock. Makes a beeline for Al Jr. and hugs him like he's not seen him in a year. Jr. was probably 18 at the time. I remember thinking that I wanted a relationaship like that with my son someday. 20 some years later, I do. In part because I've always remembered that moment- knowing what was truly imporant

Cool story, thanks for sharing.

offshoredrillin 03-26-2008 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 2499973)
You guys are grieving over Al. That's good, but my memories of him have no grief attached. When I think of him, I see he and Bill Sirois (another great loss) setting the world offshore class one speed record at 148+ mph WHILE ON FIRE! Wish I had done that........ I am going to do a column on Al very soon for HB. What a character......

I agree, celebrate the life. I can only hope when I pass people will remember the fun I had.

boatme 03-26-2008 08:47 AM

I too was first mesmerized by all the activity (Especially Al) in the 8os here at the Grand Haven Races

So many stories so little time

We have access to race footage from back in that time

Here is a bit of trivia ( TX you should know this )

Who was the Substitute commentator for the Grand Haven Races that did not often do that job??

I know when i was watching the Grand Haven Racing Footage races over this winter i was surprised because i forgot he was commentating

Any guesses ?

BROWNIE 03-26-2008 08:54 AM

Walter Cronkhite?

Quinlan 03-26-2008 08:55 AM

Brownie your columns are the first thing I read each month. Great stories. Cant wait for this one. Thank YOU!
Quinlan