Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need advice with bottom protection--Armored Hull??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183283-need-advice-bottom-protection-armored-hull.html)

CPIGUY 03-30-2008 10:17 AM

Need advice with bottom protection--Armored Hull???

My new 30 footer will be here in about 6 weeks and I need to make a decision on how to best protect my hull. She's be staying in the ocean full time, too heavy for me to trailer. I really don't want to paint the bottom, so what do I do??? I was going to bite the bullet and buy a HyroHoist system, but none of the Marina's in Channel Islands Harbor allow them. I recently looked at Armord Hull, but don't know anyone that's has first hand experience with their system.

Any other idea's or solutions you can think of???

I'm looking for the collective advice of this board to make the decision.

Thanks guys

Ryan8886 03-30-2008 11:34 AM

Do a search here on "airdock". Going to try and run this past my marina this spring. No permanant moorings, no hydraulic fluid....just an airbag. Kinda hard for anyone to make an argument against it. Take a look at the website.

www.airdock.com

Westcoast 03-30-2008 11:50 AM

There are a couple of top guns in mission bay that use armor hulls. Give me a call 619-203-1692 I can answer some of your questions. Eddie

joew. 03-30-2008 12:14 PM

Why would a marina not let someone use a lift? They are everywhere in TX.

Westcoast 03-30-2008 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by joew. (Post 2505335)
Why would a marina not let someone use a lift? They are everywhere in TX.

Some southern cal marinas have banned lifts because they have had bad experences with Hydro Hoist. They claim that when the lift is mounted to a dock (wood or concrete) the lifts can cause damage to the slips. Also the hydro hoist works with air. When you spring a leak the boat sits at a dangerous angle and the marina then has to deal with contacting the owner and they consider it a huge pain in the ass and a possible libality. Many southern cal area marinas have lost vessels in the slip due to the position the lift will leave the boat in.
Dockmasters that have had bad experencies with lifts in the past have simply made rules that don't allow the use of boatlifts.

marineclean 03-30-2008 09:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Find a way to get her out of the water! I've maintained a 360 since it was new and the bottom is terrible. The customer won't paint or put a lift in, so the boat has suffered. I have a crew clean the boat every week April-November and the water line has to be done every week year round.

My other Cobalts that are on lifts look perfect! May I also recommend a coat of Leverage Polish before you put her in the water. The Cobalts I've maintained since new still look new. Keep it clean weekly with water and a towel, put a cover on if you're going to be exposed to the sun 24/7 and stay away from harsh chemicals. I've noticed some Cobalts tend to oxidize rapidly due to the compounds they use before delivery.

Let me know if you need anything.

Donnie

CPIGUY 03-30-2008 10:09 PM

Thanks Donnie