Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   risk of stolen ARNESON DRIVES... and PROPS! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183355-risk-stolen-arneson-drives-props.html)

jeff32 03-31-2008 11:59 AM

risk of stolen ARNESON DRIVES... and PROPS!

Looking at a boat that has Arnesons Drives. Props are apparently 5000$ each!!!

If the boat stays outside on trailer, or for example on a boat lift, you sure take the props off and HIDE THEM!!!

What if the boat stays in water for a while??? Do you take the props off? Could those drives be stolen as easily as Bravo drive could be stolen?

I need you thought on this, opinions...

Thanks!

monstaaa 03-31-2008 12:03 PM

not like bravos.

and i would consider protecting my investment as for the props.

it would take an ambitous individual to take em off in the water.

Sydwayz 03-31-2008 12:05 PM

Just weld everything together. They never break anyway. :D :D

Happy to help. :drink:

Rik 03-31-2008 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 2506484)
Looking at a boat that has Arnesons Drives. Props are apparently 5000$ each!!!

If the boat stays outside on trailer, or for example on a boat lift, you sure take the props off and HIDE THEM!!!

What if the boat stays in water for a while??? Do you take the props off? Could those drives be stolen as easily as Bravo drive could be stolen?

I need you thought on this, opinions...

Thanks!

They are the same propellers that are on a Mercury drive so if they have a propeller lock it will work on the Arneson also.

JIMKID Motorsports 03-31-2008 01:27 PM

They are the same prop that are on a number 6 drive the theft rate is not any higher on them then any other dont woory

Tom A. 03-31-2008 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 2506600)
They are the same propellers that are on a Mercury drive so if they have a propeller lock it will work on the Arneson also.

Exactly, put a prop lock on them when in the water and take them off when stored on land. I bought a pair of prop boxes to safely store mine. It is a good peace of mind knowing the expensive props are not only safe from theft but also safe from being dinged or accidentally cutting someone walking around the boat..

TheStorm 03-31-2008 02:32 PM

Props and Drives

The drives are not easy to take off and would be VERY difficult to take. That said, you can put locks on the nuts.

As for the props, they sell locks for #6 props which is what you would use, or you can remove them easily and store them until you use the boat. Exact issue that anyone that uses a #6 boat has

Shanghied Again 03-31-2008 03:49 PM

Jeff: The props are quiet big and heavy compared to Bravo props, The big chance of trying to steal them in the water is dropping them in the drink: The drives well they better steal the entire system for them to be any use and with the shaft being over 1" thick they are not the lightest drives out there.

jeff32 03-31-2008 09:23 PM

another question about these drives... where does the water get in the engine from? From the bottom of drive? from separate water pick-up on the transom?

What's the answer?

fountain4play 03-31-2008 09:37 PM

My XR's used a separate water pick-up and will be using that same setup on my ASD-7M's... I don't think the Arneson's have a water pick-up but Rik would be able to answer that for sure...