Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Picking up the new boat tomorrow! Sunseeker 29' Mohawk! >

Picking up the new boat tomorrow! Sunseeker 29' Mohawk!

Notices

Picking up the new boat tomorrow! Sunseeker 29' Mohawk!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up the new boat tomorrow! Sunseeker 29' Mohawk!

Well, I've been searching high and low for my next boat. I recently got a 24' Fountain as a toy and I enjoy it a lot. But I often crave for a cabin and a larger boat in general. Last season I also had a Cobalt 343 with twin 525's and loved it, in the end it was just way too big for me to tow around every weekend and I felt it wasn't really a $100k+ boat. As luck would have it I was just randomly dream searching for yachts and I came to find a very rare 29' Sunseeker Mohawk. Looks like they were only made for a few years but they are solid performance cruisers like their bigger brothers. She has twin 454 Mags and Bravo 1's. As far as I can tell from my research these are the biggest/most powerful gas motors that came on this model. It should do somewhere in the mid 60's and ride like a Bentley on the water. Not bad for a boat with an almost 10' beam! I will probably do a few mods on the motors down the line to try and get into the 70's, but for now I just plan to go through all of it and get it 100% reliable.

I plan to update and restore this one to bring it into todays more modern looks. It shouldn't need too much, mainly going to redo the whole cabin, new steering wheel, dash background will be replaced from the black vynil to carbon fiber etc. I'll be starting a build thread on it so I can post changes and updates. I'm very excited about this boat and cant wait to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Driving 4-5 hours one way to do a seat trial then hopefully towing it back home with me!

Here are a few pics from the seller. I'll post better ones tomorrow. Does anyone know much about this particular model? I searched high and low online and there is VERY little info.

And a pic of my previous Cobalt 343 which I feel is a similar type of boat... A great performance cruiser.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:09 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Did you buy this in Oklahoma ? and where are you in TX ? I always liked the Sunseekers. They just built some huge 155 ft boat for Formula One Eddie Jordan, cost was around 30 mil.

I met one of their engineers last year and talked to him for hours about their company and builds plus he showed me about 500 pics of this 155 ft boat being built at the Sunseeker factory. That boat was bigger than most houses.

He wasn't even that old and said they have a ton of employees. I think he said the boat for the Formula One guy, building it was 250 employees for that alone.

Last edited by BUP; 08-02-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Did you buy this in Oklahoma ? and where are you in TX ? I always liked the Sunseekers. They just built some huge 155 ft boat for Formula One Eddie Jordan, cost was around 30 mil.

I met one of their engineers last year and talked to him for hours about their company and builds plus he showed me about 500 pics of this 155 ft boat being built at the Sunseeker factory. That boat was bigger than most houses.

He wasn't even that old and said they have a ton of employees. I think he said the boat for the Formula One guy, building it was 250 employees for that alone.
Yes sir, bought it in Oklahoma. I live in North Dallas. I usually boat at Cedar Creek or Lewisville but will probably start to venture to Texoma this season. And yes, I too have always been a huge fan of sunseekers. They are the first yacht that stuck in my memory when I was a kid.

Last edited by RAC3ME; 08-02-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:19 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I had to change my post sorry had a few things wrong as I was thinking about another boat build, My first post is fixed now
Old 08-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a great boat. Congratulations and enjoy !
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats, have fun.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:46 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Well, that was a long 16 hour day... All to come back empty handed. The boat was much rougher than I was led to believe unfortunately. On top of that it didn't perform to my liking... Top speed of 52 is just too slow. Oh well, the hunt continues.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 AM
Registered

That's a shame the sunseeker is a nice solid boat ,my friend has a 46 foot sqeeker as he calls it and it's a good solid boat , when it's time to slow down the sonney will probly be my next boat .