Like Tree0Likes

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

Looks great with a lot of thought.

Has anyone ever considered making a wet exhaust system for such a condition? Couldn't be hard. 2 peices of SS pipe to make the dual wall exhaust pipe with the inner pipe extended to clamp around the Gen exhaust or high temp hose, with a another small AC pump supplying the water for the jacketed pipe. Be even quieter too!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1993 Cruisers Inc Twin Diesel, 23' CC 225 Optimax

Wow - the money and time spent coming up with that and you decided not to go with a small Weterbeke or something??

Let me guess - you'll trust your life on a $35 CO2 detector? Your basically placing all the gas fumes, CO2, in a sealed tub - with no USCG spark protection whatsoever..... and you plan on sleeping in that thing?

You do what you want - but I'll say a prayer for you if you keep that set up. That's one of the most dangerous set ups I've seen.

Think about it - if it was that easy to use a portable generator in the engine room - wouldn't everyone be doing it?

I'm going to beg you to get that thing out of the engine room before something happens.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by txriverrat2001 View Post
Wow - the money and time spent coming up with that and you decided not to go with a small Weterbeke or something??

Let me guess - you'll trust your life on a $35 CO2 detector? Your basically placing all the gas fumes, CO2, in a sealed tub - with no USCG spark protection whatsoever..... and you plan on sleeping in that thing?

You do what you want - but I'll say a prayer for you if you keep that set up. That's one of the most dangerous set ups I've seen.

Think about it - if it was that easy to use a portable generator in the engine room - wouldn't everyone be doing it?

I'm going to beg you to get that thing out of the engine room before something happens.
ditto
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38' Scarab P-38

Guys,Thanks for all the advice. I do appreciate it. As far as the exhaust temp goes, I ran 1" hose that is rated at 350 deg F. Now I ran the generator for a half an hour (with a section of hose connected) and it got up to about 210 deg.and about 90 deg at the thru hull fitting. I was thinking of running a temp sender on the hose and having the gauge in the cabin. I can run the generator where it is at or on the swimstep but it will have the hatch open if inside. Also I think I am going to get a side latter made because of the length of the boat.like this one...
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by txriverrat2001 View Post

Hmmmmmmmm, this is causing more of a stir than I thought. First off, a Westerbeke, Kohler, nor Onan will fit in a 38" Scarab. Two, it is not one but two Co (not Co2) detectors that run about $135 each which btw should be on ALL boats with generators not just mine. Three, I am NOT going to sleep with the generator running EVER. I am not slamming ANYBODY here, these are all viable concerns. BUT, I am not taking all the chances that a lot of you think that I am.The gen will have a blower on and the hatch will be open...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Garibay View Post
Guys,Thanks for all the advice. I do appreciate it. As far as the exhaust temp goes, I ran 1" hose that is rated at 350 deg F. Now I ran the generator for a half an hour (with a section of hose connected) and it got up to about 210 deg.and about 90 deg at the thru hull fitting. I was thinking of running a temp sender on the hose and having the gauge in the cabin. I can run the generator where it is at or on the swimstep but it will have the hatch open if inside. Also I think I am going to get a side latter made because of the length of the boat.like this one...
Michael, were you running the generator under a heavy load, like with an air conditioner connected? Just running the generator vs. running it under a full load will make a huge difference. Remember, mine started wood on fire!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquesi View Post
Michael, were you running the generator under a heavy load, like with an air conditioner connected? Just running the generator vs. running it under a full load will make a huge difference. Remember, mine started wood on fire!
Yes, I was running the actual A/C unit for the boat that was sitting on a tool cart with a hose running water through it and a fan to simulate the waterpump load. I am definatly going to monitor the exhaust temp closely no matter what I decide to do with the gen.Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Garibay View Post
Yes, I was running the actual A/C unit for the boat that was sitting on a tool cart with a hose running water through it and a fan to simulate the waterpump load. I am definatly going to monitor the exhaust temp closely no matter what I decide to do with the gen.Mike
Wow, maybe they changed the exhaust design and somehow added airflow into the exhaust to cool it down. Sounds like you've got it covered.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: 4 BOATS KILLED :)

If we didn't like you we would stay mum. I have the exact same genny. At wfo, exhaust temp is 8 or 900 F. Your insurance surveyor will s**t himself. Open fuel vent in the engine room? I don't think so, Tim.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:53 PM
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member

He got some of his setup advice from excursion who built the same setup 2-3 years ago. While I have the same Honda 2000 and put it on the swim platform to use I did see excursion use his in this manner for several years. He contacted Honda for advice and found the exhaust temps are much lower than most of us think....something in the 200 degree range. The exhaust hose he used was rated for 650 degrees and his was strapped down similar to Michaels. This setup should be fine.....although I admit, I'm not going to copy it.

.....also, FWIW. This is in NO WAY marine approved and any accidents will rest completely on your shoulders. Just be prepared for similar opinions if this is seen at your local marinas.