A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Notices

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weterbeke in 38 Scarab

Just for the record I had a Westerbeke installed in my 38 Scarab (I have since sold it). It had the factory a/c and the Westerbeke worked great, even at 80 mph!

Also, I do know of a Baja in Texas that has the Honda in the engine compartment for 2 years with no issues.

Good luck, and be careful.....
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-521.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-522.jpg  
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What size westerbeke is that?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a 3kw gas. I had it powder coated Mercury Blue.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormulaFan
Just for the record I had a Westerbeke installed in my 38 Scarab (I have since sold it). It had the factory a/c and the Westerbeke worked great, even at 80 mph!

Also, I do know of a Baja in Texas that has the Honda in the engine compartment for 2 years with no issues.

Good luck, and be careful.....
Now that is an option I could consider. What year 38' did you have?any more pics? What do those gens run? Installed?thanks. Mike
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mike, The Scarab was a 2003 Model. The Westerbeke was around $3500.
The Labor was around $7000. It was not an easy installation. They notched the center stringer out (about 5"), then re-enforced the stringer along each side. Then they made a flat platform for the gen. They routed the exhaust out the side (the large outlet on the side in picture). They installed dual water intakes (this is like the new Formulas use). One intake is below the water line and one above. This allows the use of the gen sitting still, or running full throttle. I also had them install a shore power/gen switch in the cabin, as well as 2 co2 detectors. The gen will easily run the a/c and battery charger with no strain at all. The installation was done during the winter so the shop took there time doing it. Like I said it was a lot of work, but the end result was worth it. I used it 1 summer with the gen and had it running most of the time. The fuel intake was hooked in to the main fuel tank and didn't notice much fuel consumption. Of course running 575's with blowers burned so much fuel the gen didn't make a difference. I don't have any more gen pics, but here are a couple of the boat. I went to a cruiser and I really am starting to miss the Scarab, especially with Poker Run season starting. I hope I have answered your questions.
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-img_0311.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-img_0307.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-img_0308.jpg  

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

Hey Mike. It looks like you went to alot of trouble to do this project. Several people have voiced their concern about running an "outside only" generator in a "gas fumes" environment. You have to know this is a dangerous thing. It can work well dozens of time, but fail just once and disaster.

I have a Cig Bullet with built-in shore power. I have though about installing A/C and running it via the shore power network. To run the A/C away from shore, I would strap a Honda 2000 to the swim platform and connect it to the shore power outlet.

If your Scarab has built-in shore power, I think your could easily implement my idea and be much safer.

Just my two-cents...
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormulaFan
Mike, The Scarab was a 2003 Model. The Westerbeke was around $3500.
The Labor was around $7000. It was not an easy installation. They notched the center stringer out (about 5"), then re-enforced the stringer along each side. Then they made a flat platform for the gen. They routed the exhaust out the side (the large outlet on the side in picture). They installed dual water intakes (this is like the new Formulas use). One intake is below the water line and one above. This allows the use of the gen sitting still, or running full throttle. I also had them install a shore power/gen switch in the cabin, as well as 2 co2 detectors. The gen will easily run the a/c and battery charger with no strain at all. The installation was done during the winter so the shop took there time doing it. Like I said it was a lot of work, but the end result was worth it. I used it 1 summer with the gen and had it running most of the time. The fuel intake was hooked in to the main fuel tank and didn't notice much fuel consumption. Of course running 575's with blowers burned so much fuel the gen didn't make a difference. I don't have any more gen pics, but here are a couple of the boat. I went to a cruiser and I really am starting to miss the Scarab, especially with Poker Run season starting. I hope I have answered your questions.
That was a great deal on the gen. I priced online and it shows $5300 just for the gen. 7k for the install,wow, that must have been a lot of labor. It sounds like it just by your description. Well ,seeing that my boat is one of a kind, it is probably worth the investment. Probably next year though. I've had it for a year and not taken it out once yet. And the baby is getting induced tommorow. Sooooooo it looks like maybe may will be the first time out.Thanks Mike
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

hijack.....
does anyone make CG certified Braded SS fuel line with an fittings?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have surveyed a few boats with that 3.0KW Westerbeke genset and she's a real beauty. $7,000 to install it seems very expensive. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:07 PM
good2go38
VIP Member

Default Anchoring

I have used my Honda 2000 a couple of times on the swim platform. One time I was anchored front and back to stay close to shore and the wind changed. The CO detectors went nuts when the wind started blowing from the stern. Remember the wind is a factor when anchoring.

Quick Reply: A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.