Notices

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Do you have a picture of your boat? I remember seeing the
P-29 when it came out. I was in Destin at a Scarab dealer. I wanted that boat so bad (and I coudn't afford one then). I have never seen a P-38. I have since owned a 29, 33, and 38Scarab! What is the history behind it? Kevlar Hull?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
That was a great deal on the gen. I priced online and it shows $5300 just for the gen. 7k for the install,wow, that must have been a lot of labor. It sounds like it just by your description. Well ,seeing that my boat is one of a kind, it is probably worth the investment. Probably next year though. I've had it for a year and not taken it out once yet. And the baby is getting induced tommorow. Sooooooo it looks like maybe may will be the first time out.Thanks Mike
Mike, I may be off on the prices. I just remember writing a check for 10-11K for everything. I think it also included some oil change and maybe drive service.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find deals on these small gensets on ebay all the time. I have a 38 baja that came with one stock so I have not done this myself.

On a side note I have installed an ac and had the same problem with the water pump. Make sure the outlet (to ac unit) is facing north. Also my ac is designed to only engage the water pump when it is several degrees you would like to cool. In other words it will not turn on unless it is 70 and you want it to be 60. Hope that helps.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormulaFan
Mike,

Do you have a picture of your boat? I remember seeing the
P-29 when it came out. I was in Destin at a Scarab dealer. I wanted that boat so bad (and I coudn't afford one then). I have never seen a P-38. I have since owned a 29, 33, and 38Scarab! What is the history behind it? Kevlar Hull?
I too looked at a P-29 back in 2001. I fell in love with the graphics but it was a little too cramped inside for me so I got a 31' Scarab instead. How much were they asking for it new(P-29)? That final 38' you got with 575's must have been like 285k new- awesome boat though,do you miss it? The P-38 boat was custom one-off deal from Wellcraft painted by Magic brush and has some of the same features as the P-29. The same v-berth cushion design, black gauges, P-38 in the headrests, custom engine hatch cover.It originally was built for a guy in Israel and had a 220v-50hz shorepower system. The previous (2nd) owner changed the battery charger to 110v, and I changed the wall socket and just installed the 10k A/C unit (110v). I guess I will eventually fork out the cash for the Westerbeke,seems to be the hot deal. I remember your boat for sale last year. I bought my '98 in last May . Didn't you sell yours in July? Would have considered it. How much did you sell for,if you don't mind me asking?Thanks Mike....
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-londonbridge.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-cockpit.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-cockpit-rear.jpg  

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mike, Great looking boat. I don't remember what the P29 was new. It was too much for me back then. I sold my boat for $165,000. The new owner told me I can drive it any time I want. He is crazy about the boat. Yes, I do miss it but still get to drive it once in a while. I have always had a thing for Scarabs, since I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and they were all over south Florida at the time. With all this Scarab talk back and forth the "gods" might make us go to the Scarab Forum!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LZH
Very nice install !!! What are the blue lines attached to the gen ? Exhaust I assume ? Where did you route the exhaust and did you drill a thru hole in the side of the boat ? I'd also like to see pics of the AC install and plumbing as I was thinking of doing this myself. Well done and thx for the pics.
LZH, here is a couple of pics of the A/C installed. The boat had A/C so I didnt have a lot to modify. It took about 4 hours to modify the airbox, install the unit and plumb the condensator. It has 2 -4" vent outlets inside the cabin facing up on each side of the wrap around couch.BTW did you get those drives on yet? Also there is a 29' E-ticket on page 94 of this months(May) Powerboat that has a Honda 2000 gen permanently mounted with exhaust and everything.Hmmmmm Last but not least, I would have responded earlier but I have been busy with my brand new baby girl Hailey Sue 7lbs8oz, born Thursday 10:56PM.
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-photo.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-sickboat4.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-hailey.jpg  

Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

On this honda generator you have installed, how are you plumbing the exhaust? Did you somehow make the exhaust water cooled?

If you're running an open exhaust in the engine room you're going to have a disaster, it was never intended to be run in closed quarters.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
LZH, here is a couple of pics of the A/C installed. The boat had A/C so I didnt have a lot to modify. It took about 4 hours to modify the airbox, install the unit and plumb the condensator. It has 2 -4" vent outlets inside the cabin facing up on each side of the wrap around couch.BTW did you get those drives on yet? Also there is a 29' E-ticket on page 94 of this months(May) Powerboat that has a Honda 2000 gen permanently mounted with exhaust and everything.Hmmmmm Last but not least, I would have responded earlier but I have been busy with my brand new baby girl Hailey Sue 7lbs8oz, born Thursday 10:56PM.
Congrads on the new Baby!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Michael,

I'm not trying to scare you, but the gasoline fume detectors are not 100% reliable. Gasoline vapor is heavier than air, and will settle to the bottom of the bilge, right where your generator is. The Honda generator is air cooled, with plenty of hot surfaces to ignite gasoline, not to mention the non-US Coast Guard approved ignition system, intake system (backfire), and the arcing generator brushes. You pretty much have everything you need to start a fire, if not an explosion. You would be better off buying a used marine generator if you want to save cost. Then you can enjoy it, rather than worrying about it.

Michael
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered

Wow.

Oh.....and congrats on the baby girl!

Quick Reply: A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.