A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab >

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Notices

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe enough for babies!

I’ve known Mike for a long, long time. He’s smarter and more capable than y’all can know. He has the equipment and the experience to architect and test systems prior to implementation. We’ve spoken at length about this, and I’ve seen the boat. That’s my girlfriend in front of it on my last visit to L.A.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Picture058.jpg

Yes, “everyone is doing this” if they have the know-how and the confidence. The fear factor is like any other task that seems insurmountable until you understand how simple it really is. Locally on Lake Travis we had a boat painter by the name of Dave. He had a plain white 35’ Baja with a Honda generator and aftermarket A/C installed. He took a couple of hours one day to show it off to me. It was tight.

I’ve often wondered why my .38 Special had to have a huge heavy and complex Westerbeke with an outdated fuel and ignition system. Best answer I’ve gotten is that is USCG approved. I find this kind of nanny-state thinking with people who are shocked that I carry a gun *gasp*, it’s LOADED *double gasp*, CHAMBERED *triple gasp*, and that my "safety" is my trigger finger! *passing out gasp*

Mike’s setup is ingenious and efficient. It’s also safe provided he doesn’t pull the exhaust hose out and route it to the cabin, and that he doesn’t leave the gas cap off after spraying fuel all over the engine bay filling his generator’s tank from a nozzle 10 feet away.

Last edited by m1super90; 04-24-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: More humor!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

I run my 7500btu off that EU2000i and it has no issue at all.On ECO mode.It will rev up when the compressor cycles on but when it is running it is pretty low RPM wise.It hangs of my bow pulpit.

This guy seems pretty intelligent and all but my question is this: If you have enough coin to buy that scarab then why not spend another $5k on a used marine gen set?

The whole issue is the cooling with the little Honda.It is made to have constent fresh air.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by m1super90
I’ve known Mike for a long, long time. He’s smarter and more capable than y’all can know. He has the equipment and the experience to architect and test systems prior to implementation. We’ve spoken at length about this, and I’ve seen the boat. That’s my girlfriend in front of it on my last visit to L.A.

Yes, “everyone is doing this” if they have the know-how and the confidence. The fear factor is like any other task that seems insurmountable until you understand how simple it really is. Locally on Lake Travis we had a boat painter by the name of Dave. He had a plain white 35’ Baja with a Honda generator and aftermarket A/C installed. He took a couple of hours one day to show it off to me. It was tight.

I’ve often wondered why my .38 Special had to have a huge heavy and complex Westerbeke with an outdated fuel and ignition system. Best answer I’ve gotten is that is USCG approved. I find this kind of nanny-state thinking with people who are shocked that I carry a gun, and that it’s LOADED *gasp*. Not only that, it’s CHAMBERED *double gasp*

Mike’s setup is ingenious and efficient. It’s also safe provided he doesn’t pull the exhaust hose out and route it to the cabin, and that he doesn’t leave the gas cap off after spraying fuel all over the engine bay filling his generator’s tank from a nozzle 10 feet away.
Nice post and I'm glad you like your friend, but you may need your loaded chambered gun to get the insurance company to pay if there is a problem down the road. ?????? It is not safe, it is cheap.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=m1super90;2535947]I’ve known Mike for a long, long time. He’s smarter and more capable than y’all can know. He has the equipment and the experience to architect and test systems prior to implementation. We’ve spoken at length about this, and I’ve seen the boat. That’s my girlfriend in front of it on my last visit to L.A.

QUOTE]

nice boat cover

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Registered

For sure, insurance companies are quick to collect, slow to pay, and always looking for an out. Using non certified stuff might nullify coverage for a claimed caused by the installation.

I know guys who put blowers on their motors without telling insurance that they're now way over 1000 total HP. I had drinks with the UC Davis dean of the school of business and she tried to shame me for owning such a powerful, fuel guzzling, and polluting boat. I asked her if she walked to Austin or had flown in a jet.

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Nice post and I'm glad you like your friend, but you may need your loaded chambered gun to get the insurance company to pay if there is a problem down the road. ?????? It is not safe, it is cheap.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by m1super90
For sure, insurance companies are quick to collect, slow to pay, and always looking for an out. Using non certified stuff might nullify coverage for a claimed caused by the installation.

I know guys who put blowers on their motors without telling insurance that they're now way over 1000 total HP. I had drinks with the UC Davis dean of the school of business and she tried to shame me for owning such a powerful, fuel guzzling, and polluting boat. I asked her if she walked to Austin or had flown in a jet.

Not sure I understand your post. Why would an insurance company pay for a fire-trap disaster? They certainly didn't insure it this way. Regarding those that put blowers on their motors without telling the insurance.....same goes for them! It sounds like what you are saying is "it should be fine since others have done the same or worse". Yeah.....that will make them pay the claim!

Sorry......but I'm not trying to make any other point other than these (with #7 near the top):

1) The coast guard would probably not approve of it.
2) The guy's insurance company would not approve of it.
3) The factory couldn't sell the boat built that way.
4) Somebody could die because of it just to save a little bit of money.
5) If his boat burns up.....maybe it will take out other boats near it?
6) Who would buy a used boat with something like this done to it?
7) If his wife read this thread......she would fix this situation ASAP.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Man - That's the most accurate statement of this whole thread!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Please re-evaluate the statements of caution, they just have your life well being in mind. Dangerous is not the word for your bilge installation! If the coast guard inspects your boat and sees this they most likely will go nuts. It is NOT spark protected.The fume detector will be too late as the fumes are present when it goes off, and sparks will be present in the bilge.

Westerbeke installation in a small boat.

http://www.westerbeke.com/products/g...ail.cfm?gen=58

http://revver.com/video/265369/marin...a-bayliner-28/

Last edited by orthos1; 04-25-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure I understand your post. Why would an insurance company pay for a fire-trap disaster? They certainly didn't insure it this way. Regarding those that put blowers on their motors without telling the insurance.....same goes for them! It sounds like what you are saying is "it should be fine since others have done the same or worse". Yeah.....that will make them pay the claim!

Sorry......but I'm not trying to make any other point other than these (with #7 near the top):

1) The coast guard would probably not approve of it.
2) The guy's insurance company would not approve of it.
3) The factory couldn't sell the boat built that way.
4) Somebody could die because of it just to save a little bit of money.
5) If his boat burns up.....maybe it will take out other boats near it?
6) Who would buy a used boat with something like this done to it?

Well said Nort. And about that PM, disregard it. I was drunk
Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, everyone needs to chill out a little. I also installed a Honda 2000 in the engine compartment three years ago in my 37 AT. Almost indentical to this.
The Coast Guard has seen, and had nothing to say. The honda is approved for use in state parks, and has to have a spark arrestor. I would also open the engine hatch for fresh air. Spent several weekends on the boat running the Honda ok. The exhaust does not ever get over 215 , even on full output. Silicone hose rated for 600 degrees.
Yes it is alot cheaper than the standard marine genset. but I know it is safe and would not ever think of putting anyone's safety in jepordy.
So let it lie.

Quick Reply: A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.