A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab >

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Notices

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Well I installed the 10k A/C unit over the weekend. Went in pretty well, some modifications required to fit. Fired it up on the shorepower for a couple of seconds (cannot get water up to pump out of the water). I finished mounting the generator yesterday and it fired the A/C also. We'll see how it does on the water. Here is some pics of the gen,switch,and vapor sensor set up to automatically start blower if vapors are present in engine compartment (the switch next to the vapor unit on the dash turns on the aux. blower that is set up to evacuate the heat from the generator).One of the two co detectors for the cabin. Also the switch for shore/gen I set up where the cable/phone cords used to be. Baby due TOMORROW so it will probably be a while before I can test this stuff out. I'm gonna miss taking it out for the Desert Storm Poker run, dammit !!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-gen-hold-down.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-gen-installed-side.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-gen-covered.jpg  

Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered

more pics
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-vapor-sensor.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-shore-power-switch.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-co-sensor.jpg  

Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered

And finally the close ups of the generator (tight fit)
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-gen-front-clearance.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-gen-rear-clearance.jpg   A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-blower-exhaust.jpg  

Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM
LZH
Registered

Very nice install !!! What are the blue lines attached to the gen ? Exhaust I assume ? Where did you route the exhaust and did you drill a thru hole in the side of the boat ? I'd also like to see pics of the AC install and plumbing as I was thinking of doing this myself. Well done and thx for the pics.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the deadliest setup I have ever seen. I would never let anyone use a rig like that. DON'T DO IT!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea,
Like the gen/ac idea.
Just did not see the exhaust side of it yet.
Mine is a factory outlet.
Looks like gassing it up might be a pain though.
To bad you could not have had it built in that way.

Good luck,
And Congrats on the BABY!!!!!!

Johnny
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
That is the deadliest setup I have ever seen. I would never let anyone use a rig like that. DON'T DO IT!
No offense Brownie, but how is it "the deadliest setup" you have ever seen. I have taken ALOT of precautions to insure this setups safety. 1) Vented exhaust (120-180 F) with 350F silicone hose to outside of hull (and will run generator with hatch open about 4-6") 2) Running a blower specifically for the generator (heat and any fumes) in addition to stock engine room blower 3) Have generator (46 lb unit) tied down with two 500 lb racheting straps. and 8-2" stainless bolts 4) Have a fuel vapor sensor in engine compartment with automatic blower control and alarm 5) I have two co detectors inside cabin.
I have seen how things are run the "right" way and can see that improvements could be made. Boating can be a dangerous hobby, but I think I have covered all the bases here.It is easy to see something and think "oh god, thats an accident waiting to happen" and seen idiots do stupid things. But I don't think that is the case here and member "Excursion" did the same thing on his 37'Active Thunder and was trouble free for a few years.Please give me your insight, because I have thought this out for the last 10 months.Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Registered

BTW here is the exhaust outlet
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab-exh.jpg  
Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42johnny
Yea,
Like the gen/ac idea.
Just did not see the exhaust side of it yet.
Mine is a factory outlet.
Looks like gassing it up might be a pain though.
To bad you could not have had it built in that way.

Good luck,
And Congrats on the BABY!!!!!!

Johnny
Johnny,I have a little 1 1/4 gal fuel tank I am going to keep to fill it up. I doesn't look like it will be too difficult,Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I think Brownie is referring to the type of generator. It appears that it's the kind that is made for "external" use because of the case. That was my first thought.

Is it specifically designed to be used IN the engine room. If not, it won't have spark protection etc.

Quick Reply: A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.