Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Skater / Douglas Marine Leads Evolution Class Entries !!! >

Skater / Douglas Marine Leads Evolution Class Entries !!!

Notices

Skater / Douglas Marine Leads Evolution Class Entries !!!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Skater / Douglas Marine Leads Evolution Class Entries !!!

Skater / Douglas Marine Leads Evolution Class Entries!!

NJPPC-Toms River, NJ - April 2, 2008
As British team "Honeyparty.com" prepares vigorously for the Powerboat P1 World Championship season, their newly-designed Skater 399 puts U.S. boat builder, Douglas Marine, at the head of the Evolution Class with three entries.
Throttleman/owner Richard Carr and driver Paul Sinclair returned to the U.K. for more testing of the modified Vee-hull, after winning the American Offshore Super Series (OSS) Vee Extreme Class World and National Championships. The hull has been modified from the standard Skater 399 to comply with P1's 2008 racing regulations. "It's a well thought out design and should run well," says Douglas/Skater President Peter Hledin. The team has been testing in the Bournemouth Bay area, using the so-called "Brass Monkey circuit," which Team Manager and substitute driver Mark Pascoe said will be key to dialing-in the boat, "Using the same course each time allows us to closely monitor and test the setup of the engines, propellers and polish our technique, guaranteeing both boat and crew have the best possible advantage."

Another advantage comes from "Team Honeyparty.com" engine builder, Fort Lauderdale, FL-based Chief Engines. The 540 c.i., 7000 rpm, Whipple super-charged beasts feature a proprietary engine management system designed by Chief owner Tommy Hofstetter, that incorporates real-time video and telemetry data and allows Hofstetter to monitor and match engine readouts to activity in the boat cockpit from across the Atlantic. Further, Hofstetter has designed counter-rotating engines for the team's P1 race application.

In addition to Pascoe and Hofstetter, owner/throttleman, Richard Carr has brought on Crew Chief Trevor Leigh who has worked with race teams Tekne Lamborghini, Honda U.K. and Victory Team, Dubai; and Assistant Mechanic Danny Armon, who, like his team mates, brings a wealth of experience having worked with Vulture Ventures, Cougar, Pascoe International and has seat time as a racer in the Honda Series. "I am extremely pleased with the way the boat is running and am confident in the team's abilities," Carr says, "Having such an experienced support team has been invaluable throughout the testing and I'm in no doubt that they will continue to aid the team's successes during the P1 World Championship." The intensive testing schedule has been invaluable according to Driver Paul Sinclair, "The testing sessions have been a great chance for Richard and I to get back in the boat and hone our skills in a variety of sea conditions. Seeing how we have progressed has been a good confidence boost after the spin-out at Key West,"
in 2007. Team Honeyparty.com joins two other Evolution Class teams running Skater 399 hulls, including veteran Italian team Pignolo 53, powered by Mercury Racing 525s. Max Ferrari's Skater made several attempts to run in the 2007 season, but experienced repeated mechanical difficulties which never enabled his Skater to compete. He plans to make a come-back in the 2008 season. Nigel Hook's Lucas Oil-sponsored team will return, this year in Hook's former APBA/SBI World Champion Skater, powered by Mercury Racing 711 engines, designed specifically for Powerboat P1 racing.

Powerboat P1 kicks-off the 2008 season in San Benedetto del Tronto, Italy, May 9th, continues to France, Malta, Portugal, Tunisia, and concludes in Bahrain in October. The series is televised to over 100-million homes worldwide, combining spectacular action with the glamour of international motorsport. Racing close to the shoreline in some of Europe's finest holiday seaside destinations attracts large crowds--last season Powerboat P1 racing was enjoyed by over 280,000 race fans.

Photo available upon request. For further information on Powerboat P1 and for high resolution photography, visit www.powerboatp1.com

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tim see ya sunday
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They 399 is an awesome boat. I hope the teams do well and show everyone just how great it is.

Good luck to all.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:34 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

"The hull has been modified from the standard Skater 399 to comply with P1's 2008 racing regulations."
I wonder what had to be modified ?

Last I heard P1 was going to allow full canopies for the Evolution Class. I haven't checked the 2008 rules though...

Yes Joe.

See ya then!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !