Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft. >

Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.

Notices

Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.

Whats the best way to keep someone from takeing your trailer when not hooked to the truck. I thought of running a chain through the rim and to the frame. But if thay want it thay will get it. I just want to slow them down a bit till I kick the dogs loose and load a gun or two.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

That is all you can do slow them down, use many different security devices to slow them down or deter them from spending the time. If they want it bad enough they will get it.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Block the trailer up and take a wheel of either side . Tough to move it when a wheel or two are misiing.

Rick G.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Take ALL the wheels off one side but they could just bring a spare. Unbolt and take the coupler inside with you.....real hard to tow a trailer with just a beam sticking out the front.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my coupler is removeable.. i pull the pins out of it and take it in the house...
Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered

Default Tire Locks

It's true...what one man creates another will destroy!

I like a boot device to a) provide a visual deterrent - which is arguably the most important thing and b) slow them down if they do decide to make a theft attempt.

A boot combined with a stout hitch lock work very well for anti-theft. Obviously, if equipment is left in remote areas for extended periods of time...the power tools are more likely to come out and play...

Problem with chains is that anybody can buy lock/chain cutters. A boot takes more effort and is easy on and easy to store and usually takes some time to defeat...

www.tirelock.com

Full disclosure out of respect for OSO members: I am not only a user, but also the owner of tireock. This is not a sales pitch - just an answer and opinion to question posed.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.-tirelock.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Registered

The boot looks sweet!

Currently using the Master coupler lock, pin lock and chain through two wheels. Also think about when you're towing. I've heard horror stories on the road. Pull a fuse in the truck and I also use a heavy grade chain from truck to trailer. I figure the longer I could hold someone up the better chance I have.......

in hitting them with the tazer, duck taping them then.....
Old 04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marineclean
The boot looks sweet!
Thanks. Let me know if you are interested in trading some Leverage for a Pit Bull Tire Lock (shown in pic). I like it because of its large shield for visibility, flat stacking and storage, and easy on-off with security key...
Old 04-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Registered

I'm interested. Shoot me a pm sometime with some info. I see they already come in yellow.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.-s7000632.jpg   Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.-marineclean.leveragetrailer.jpg  
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Does anyone use lug nut locks (ie. McGard) on their trailers. I know this is different than the topic but I was wondering since I just put 6 new aluminum wheels on my trailer.

Quick Reply: Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.