Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!! >

Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

Notices

Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

just a note to anyone who is looking to buy any emi products.
buy it now dont wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just bought my exhaust from douglas marine supply and he told me today that eddie marine just implemented a map pricing program for there dealers meaning they can't sell emi products for less than retail prices. the guys over at d.m.s are willing to honor their old prices for a few more days. I dont know if any of the other dealers are gonna do the same.
if you are thinking of buying dont wait.

scarabmk5
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

MAP= Minimum advertised price. This is a broadly used pricing guideline with many manufacturers and not exclusive to the marine business. This is only for advertising, not the actual price that the consumer will pay. Price fixing can bring down some visitors from the government.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason s MAP price has to be in effect is do to "WHORES" out there like we have seen where Trick went with pricing......right down the toilet. Dealers should all give a fair market price which is already far below retail. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word profit. Most people do not realize "we" as dealers which I am for just about everyone out there, DO NOT make hardly anything for profit. The other thing consumers must realize is not only are you purchasing a product, but many times depending on who your dealing with, your gaining valuable information. If someone buys components from me there usually ask me about 3-10 other questions engine related , which I assist them on. The pricing does need to be even across the board to benefit everyone- consumer,dealer, and manufacturer. Otherwise everyone gets hurt.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
The reason s MAP price has to be in effect is do to "WHORES" out there like we have seen where Trick went with pricing......right down the toilet. Dealers should all give a fair market price which is already far below retail. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word profit. Most people do not realize "we" as dealers which I am for just about everyone out there, DO NOT make hardly anything for profit. The other thing consumers must realize is not only are you purchasing a product, but many times depending on who your dealing with, your gaining valuable information. If someone buys components from me there usually ask me about 3-10 other questions engine related , which I assist them on. The pricing does need to be even across the board to benefit everyone- consumer,dealer, and manufacturer. Otherwise everyone gets hurt.
Looks like your membership dues came up also.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a common misperception that there's money to be made in marine parts. Many people think the markup is 50 percent. Half that at list is more likely the case. Once you add in freight, cost of inventory and the sales/support time in hand-holding the customer through the purchase process, than the inevitable cost of returns, etc., there's very little net margin left.

Manufacturers in all industries are tiring of skimmers- people who are not inventorying a product, but selling and drop-shipping. Without the support, most likely the product has issues and that never reflects on the seller, but usually on the manufacturer.

I'm glad to see manufacturers of premium products doing more to reinforce their brands and supporting their legitimate dealers. If you run off all the knowledge, who's going to bail you out when it doesn't work?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kennyo
Looks like your membership dues came up also.
no room for smart azz remarks Kenny. I am just stating facts. So think before you start crying.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They can set Min. Advertised prices but they can not set minimum sell price. Big difference. Bose plays this game in my industry. They walk a VERY Fine line. In my estimation they cross way over it but hey what do I know. It is great that they are trying to show that the product that they sell has value above a good deal. If all the dealers got on board to make profit then this would be great for dealers. We have had some issues with car audio guys coming into our industry and lowering prices. They get a reputation for that and are never made dealers of the quality stuff. Maybe Marine guys need to real in their distribution.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered

A manufacturer can not tell you what you can sell something for. Can set advertising price as was already stated. In my industry also customers think your getting rich owning your own business and having large mark ups making huge profits. Not the case if I was I would have the boat I want and have no payments.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They can stop selling to you.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blizzard
A manufacturer can not tell you what you can sell something for. Can set advertising price as was already stated. In my industry also customers think your getting rich owning your own business and having large mark ups making huge profits. Not the case if I was I would have the boat I want and have no payments.
Exactly. The majority of the time your only making 10 percent sometimes 5 percent on items. If the consumer only knew the other side of the story.

Quick Reply: Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.