Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Low Ratio BBC Rockers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183707-low-ratio-bbc-rockers.html)

jeff1000man 04-04-2008 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 2512892)
I agree on the not wanting to run it at that RPM without a load on it causing the washdown...

Please don't think I am disagreeing with you on the spring pressure issue because as you already know I hold your experiance , reputation , opinion & help in high regaurd... But I am curious as to not worrying about the spring pressure issue ? I am not one of those people that believe everything I read or hear & I know that the cam companys like to cover there butts esp. with the issues they have had over the last few years... I just know that I have always heard & followed that aound 120-130# on the seat was the cutoff for break in... Just courious as to your thinking behind that ? & like I said your opinion is held high & thats why I am asking... I am always willing to learn , esp. from good sources !!

I always learned that it was the open pressure that is the killer, but I would like to know what Dean has to say.

littledcsrodshop 04-04-2008 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2512908)
I always learned that it was the open pressure that is the killer, but I would like to know what Dean has to say.

Same here , I believe that its somewhere around 320# orso on the open that most recomend as max & that was my main reason for looking for the low ratio's b/c it would keep my preasure below that during break in.

jeff1000man 04-04-2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 2512918)
Same here , I believe that its somewhere around 320# orso on the open that most recomend as max & that was my main reason for looking for the low ratio's b/c it would keep my preasure below that during break in.

As long as you flatten it out before you put it in the boat, you can always cahnge it. :party-smiley-004::evilb::grinser010:

littledcsrodshop 04-05-2008 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2512995)
As long as you flatten it out before you put it in the boat, you can always cahnge it. :party-smiley-004::evilb::grinser010:

Like to think ahead huh !:p :D

Just cheacked & my pressures are 140 on the seat & 330 open

jeff1000man 04-05-2008 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 2514004)
Like to think ahead huh !:p :D

Just cheacked & my pressures are 140 on the seat & 330 open

I've got one that was broken in on 150 seats. and after a couple hours I am running it on 190 seats and 500 open.

Those cams are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for.

I have found that it is most often the camshaft being defective.

I can only remember 1 in the laast year out of anyone that I know that uses them that has killed one. And that was me.

Had a bad carburator and couldn't get the thing to run until it was to late.

You'll be fine.

littledcsrodshop 04-05-2008 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2514023)
I've got one that was broken in on 150 seats. and after a couple hours I am running it on 190 seats and 500 open.

Those cams are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for.

I have found that it is most often the camshaft being defective.

I can only remember 1 in the laast year out of anyone that I know that uses them that has killed one. And that was me.

Had a bad carburator and couldn't get the thing to run until it was to late.

You'll be fine.

Thanks , That does make me feel a bit better. Like I said I have never had a problem but I just wnat to make sure I cover all my bases...

Btw : You have a sweet magnum , As you may already know I am a huge fan of the classics myself !

jeff1000man 04-06-2008 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 2514168)
Thanks , That does make me feel a bit better. Like I said I have never had a problem but I just wnat to make sure I cover all my bases...

Btw : You have a sweet magnum , As you may already know I am a huge fan of the classics myself !

I have been running it with an engine that I had in the shop, but I am building a really nasty 468 blower motor for it.

250 blower, twin 750's, chiller, 7.6:1 dished pistons, 1/4 long rods, 4" crank. 242/250 .680 lift solid roller cam on 112+4, edelbrodk marine aluminum heads, all the regular highe dollar chit.

I have most of it laying around that I hadn't been able to sell, so that stuff will have a home now.

Engine should make that boat cook pretty good.

Thanks for the compliment. Good luck with your project.