Notices

Diesels for boats

Old 04-28-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rik
Sorry, but look at the pic again. Those are my trim cylinders on the boat. It was rigged new with those drives.
The one running definitely is Arnesons. Are they upgraded ASD 6s?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why the comparison to the bravo?
A performance boat with a 500 hp gas engine, will most likely use a bravo drive. Boats running high HP engines that require a 6 drive, are not really comparable to the slower speeds of a diesel boat.
A performance boat with a 480 yanmar will use an asd 8 correct? Will an asd-6 or 7 holdup to a 480 yanmar?
You may or may not need a drop box depending on the location of the engine and transmission being used. If you dont need one, then great, it saves a lot of room and money.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Answer you own question. Will a Bravo hold up to a Yanmar 440?

For some reason, you seem to have a far different criteria for an Arneson than you do for a Bravo????

I do have 440's with the #7M. A few commercial applications, dive boats and commuter boats. High hour applications.

Once you stop handicapping the Arneson application you will see how similar things are especially when you compare apples to apples.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
The one running definitely is Arnesons. Are they upgraded ASD 6s?
Those are the ASD6 Bravo Conversions.

Kim, the owner of the boat, originally purchased them for his 33' Donzi and then he upgraded to the new 38 ZRC and he de-rigged the 33' and put them on the 38'.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rik
Answer you own question. Will a Bravo hold up to a Yanmar 440?

For some reason, you seem to have a far different criteria for an Arneson than you do for a Bravo????

I do have 440's with the #7M. A few commercial applications, dive boats and commuter boats. High hour applications.

Once you stop handicapping the Arneson application you will see how similar things are especially when you compare apples to apples.
Rik,
Of course a bravo will not hold up with a yanmar 480, thats why an arneson 8 is needed. But a bravo will hold up to a 500efi, which will propbably give the most similar performance to a boat with yanmar 480's. SO - If someone wants to compare apples to apples (speed wise), then they can get a boat with 500 efis and Bravos, or Yanmar 480's and asd 8's. I'm not trying to handicap the arneson, becasue im not comparing the drives, just whats needed to attain similar speeds with a boat. If I had a 1000hp gas engine, I would compare a merc 6 to an asd 8 and your comparison will hold up, but a twin 1000hp gas engine powered boat will be much faster then one with twin 480 diesels.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

obrien,

I think your taking things out of context here about multispeeds & Arnesons at least from my comments?

The multispeed trans makes it easier to run the diesels, I probably have more actual experience here than anyone other than RIK running, building diesels and having had the budget to just play at it for years.

Had we had even a true 2 speed back in the day instead of slippers our life would have been much easier!!!! We made half-assed attempts to make a trans think it had 2 speeds and it worked good, so I know it does work and better than 1 speed.

Arneson drives - I have no misconceptions about them, (I've had 3 test boats with them) I think they are great if you know how to maneuver a boat around with the engines at the dock - they spin great - better than stern drives!!!

My point was a sterndrive is easier to handle, you turn the wheel and drive it more like a car - a dummy can dock the boat!

Trim wise, sterndrives seem to me to be able to pry a bad running hull up easier. You can't trim an Arneson up as high to have postive trim angles without the prop loosing bite in my experiences.

If you have a good boat with rocker you don't need pry, I think the sterndrive compenstates for bad hull design better than an Arneson does?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

HabanaJoe,

I wasn't just refering to you, but others I have seen in other posts. Over the last few years, I have rigged several combinations of boats using both bravos, and arnesons. Obviously each has better hulls suited for the drive type. the lower you can install an arneson, the more bow lift you can get from the drive with less trim. Alot of that can some in prop choice as well. Now I am not saying the arneson will have more bow lift than a bravo, but with the right hull it will certainly work. My boss has a 39 nortech with a pair of 480 yanmars an arnesons. two weeks ago, he was able to get almost 85 mph out of it. He is playing with props and trying a few tweaks here and there with the drives.

Rik, I just wanted to tell you that we put together a Spectre 36 cat a few years ago with a pair of 440 mechanical yanmars. The boat originally had bmax drives that wouldn't stay together. So the boat was run with XR Bravos. We ran the 440s, the tried a pair of the 6lp-315 yanmars to see what the boat would do. The boat was sold, and the next owner put the 440s back in the boat. Last I heard the drives had over 200 hrs and the drives were still together. I will say though there were 2 speed gearboxes in the boat with overdrive, so that helped to kill some of the tq from the motors. the newer 480 electronic motors make a bit more tq, so I doubt bravos will last. we do have a center console sea craft with a single yanmar 440 mechanical that is running a bravo 2, but we are running a transmission in front of the drive with the drive welded in gear.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Registered

You must be down at Mastry I assume?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol good guess
Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered

Come-on, that was skill, not guess work!!!!

Your company did alot of cool projects over the years, I would have loved to work with you guys. When I refused to move my operation to Fl for Kitami that pretty much was the beginning of the end. Then again, his personal problems didn't help either - as they say the rest is history!!!

Joe Gere

Quick Reply: Diesels for boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.