Like Tree0Likes

Advise on Switching from Cable to Dish

Old 02-19-2002, 08:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Ok the deal with satelite vs cable
First off cable analog: Ok but some channels are good some channels are bad. You get about 230 lines of resolution.
Second Cable Digital: Worse thing you can get. The compress the image so much that if your TV is over 25 inches then you get so much digital break up that you do not even want to watch the picture.
Other problems with Cable can be if you have a large theater system you can get a lot of hum through the cable. They have horrible ground plane issues. You can sometimes break the ground but that causes other problems.

Sat.: You get about twice the resolution of cable. Service is dependet on your local installer as he will be the guy doing the work. I just got a call from one of my customers that is having a problem and I will be there in a hour to visit. See we made a apointment to meet at time X not btwn the hours of 9 and 12 like the cable company!!!! Direct TV vs Dishnetwork That is a tough call. Dish Network is a much stronger company and is looking to buy Direct TV. Not sure if the FCC will allow this but if they do then there is a good chance all your Direct TV stuff will be junk. Dish Network had Excellent service from my experience with dealing with them and their HDTV sat unit is one of the better ones on the market. The only problem that I see with Dish Network is that to get their HDTV Sat you do need a second dish.

Sat. with internet: This is most definatly 2 way now. Not as fast up as down. You get about 500kbs down and about 150 up. This is a temporary speed that they are running now untill they get the bugs worked out. The biggest limiter of this system is the set up by your installer. If he does a good job with the aim up this system is VERY relialbe. If he does a poor job then you will drop service all the time and hate it. I have heard a lot of people complain about the service and found it to be a bad aim. They are very tough to aim. Much harder then regular sat service.

Hope that helps you out a bit. I personally would go sat unless having the dish was not acceptable on the house or if you can not get a aim out of your house due to an obstrucion.

Jon
Old 02-19-2002, 09:24 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Mach1 290

Over all I've been real happy with my dish network. Had an equipment failure once. Called customer service, they were going to charge me for a service call and replacement equipment. I told them if they wanted to keep me as a customer they will do it for free because I can call and have digital cable installed for free tomorrow. Worked like a charm.

The only things I don't like about it are the fade when it's storming, because that's when there's nothing else to do but watch TV. The other thing is my picture in picture doesn't work for power surfing.

The other plus with sat is that you can take it with you. I have a second dish and box down at the lake. Pop in the smart card and wa la! Gives you something to do if it rains and you can't boat.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Mach1shorty do not loose that card or dish units they must be old ones. The new cards can not be switched from box to box with out a call to Dish Network. Those old cards can actually be sold on the grey market for some decent money for descramblers

Jon
Old 02-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Mach1 290

Hmmm. Well I was wanting to upgrade to the new PVR box, with the digital recorder. Have to think about that now.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:21 AM
WATERBABY

I didn't realize people still had cable!! Only kidding... Dish is the way to go!!!

Old 02-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

My Boats: boats,cars...speed

So how much more would it cost to have 5 TV's hooked up to a dish system? Our house often has 3 TV's going at a time (one of coarse is in my pole barn)....FRED
Old 02-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: '88 Formula F-206 LS

Direct TV charges, I think, 5.00 a month for each receiver beyond the first. You'll also need two dishes if you don't want to watch what someone else is watching.
So what you have is:
Dual LNB Dish cost with receivers X 3
two extra receiver
Monthly service charge for first receiver (depending on package)
Aditional receiver fee (5.00) X 4
Local channel fee (5.00) X 5 (I think you pay for each receiver)

Figure it this way:

Monthly charge 40.00 +/- basic package
Additional receivers 20.00
Local channel access 25.00

Total 85.00 a month

Last edited by Iggy; 02-19-2002 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Some of you guys seem to realy know youre chit!! Maybe you can help with my Direct TV??? for 2 years id did OK but last year every time it rains I lose my Pic!!!! realy pissing me off!!!!! Any suggestions on why? THANX......
Old 02-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

My Boats: 28 Apache

Net on the Sat. can only be one way. High speed to you and phone line return from you. Unless you have V sat. which costs big bucks. Your home dish is a reciever only. I agree for TV sat. blows away cable and they have the Playboy channel.

Last edited by KCHOTBOAT; 02-19-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: '88 Formula F-206 LS

Birdog,
Have you tried re-aiming the dish?
If the signal isn't optimal it'll drop out easily.

Are there tree branches in the way?
Make sure the dish has an unobstructed view of the sky.

Can't think of anythnig else right now.