Notices

Honda Marine

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Honda Marine

So I've got this 17' hull that I've been putting together for fishing, that I plan to sell. It's got a 90 Honda Outboard, but I don't have a control/throttle box for it.... I have a Yamaha, but it doesn't seem to want to work (the yamaha is pushing the throttle, when it needs to be pulled). Can't find a honda ctrl box or a reverse kit for the yamaha on the island.... Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Registered

Well if you have a console the cables run into use a short cable to run to a spot in the console you can mount some linkage, find out how far it is from forward to reverse on the motor, cut a piece of steel an inch longer, drill a hole at each end and in the middle, mount it on a bearing or bushing and fix the short cable on one end and the one to the motor on the other, you need to mount the cables to something so they move the linkage not just flop around in there but that should do it. It would be a lot easier if I was there or could see it but thats an easy way to change direction. Can you adjust the throw on the shifter ?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Sounds complicated! I've tried adjusting it.... I can get it to move fwd, but only about 1/4 inch. If I had the reverse kit for the Yama Ctrl Box, it would work fine, but I can't find one local
Old 04-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered

Who else is reading this and sees what I am saying can draw it and post it .You can't get anymore simple than a metal bar with 3 holes in it a cable at each end and pivots in the middle. I would think if they made a kit it would be something like what I said because it's so simple.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're right lapseofreason; a simple bellcrank.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

A yamaha control box i dont thik will work with a honda motor. I usually switch them out .A honda control box is around $300.00 I think at retail.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Who else is reading this and sees what I am saying can draw it and post it .You can't get anymore simple than a metal bar with 3 holes in it a cable at each end and pivots in the middle. I would think if they made a kit it would be something like what I said because it's so simple.

As soon as the rain lets up, I'll give this a shot. I think I understand what you're suggesting now.

Cheers!
Andrew