Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
An excellent reason to come west with your boat in August!! >

An excellent reason to come west with your boat in August!!

Notices

An excellent reason to come west with your boat in August!!

Old 03-15-2002, 06:35 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb An excellent reason to come west with your boat in August!!

I have mentioned this to a couple of people and I was surprised by their reaction (all in favor) so I thought I would mention it to the membership to see what the rest of you thought.

I am sure that most of us would love to take our boats to different parts of the country for an event. Unfortunately, it is simply not feasible to do so for a multitude of reasons. Not only is it expensive .... there is the matter of it simply not being worth the time and effort to do so for a single weekend or event.

Now consider this for a moment. What if you could come west with your boat and over the course of one month be able to attend three major events?? Would it be worth it then? Maybe.

Aug. 23, 24, and 25 is the SCOPE Poker Run in Long Beach, California. Last year we had 145 boats attend from six states. It was an incredible event. Mike Fiore and Bob Russell came with Bob's mean Outerlimits and commented that the event was one of the best he had ever attended (and he has attended alot of them).

Aug. 30, 31 - Sept. 1, 2 is Labor Day Weekend in Lake Havasu, Arizona. For all of you from the mid-west and east coast ... you've no doubt heard about Havasu! The three big weekends are Memorial, July 4th, and Labor Day. If you have never been to Havasu ... this would be your chance!! Believe me ... it is well worth a visit!! I hear MissAmy might be coming this way soon!!

Sept. 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 is SCOPE's Annual Lake Mead trip. Last year we had 25 boats tow from the west coast out to Lake Mead which is located 30 minutes outside of Las Vegas, Nevada. Many of you have also heard of Lake Mead. Boating on this lake is unlike boating anywhere else. It is surrounded by desert canyons and mountains that go straight up hundreds of feet. There are white sandy beaches and alcoves everywhere. At night ... you head into Vegas and party until you drop!!

The ideal situation would be to have your boat towed out to California for our Poker Run in August. The event ends on Sunday. Stay in Southern California for three days (Mon. - Wed.) and visit all the tourist attractions. Then tow your boat to Lake Havasu (about five hours east) for Labor Day weekend. Once Labor Day is over tow your boat to Lake Mead (about two hours southeast) and store it at one of the many storage places in Vegas, Henderson, or Lake Mead. Fly out of Vegas and head home for a couple of weeks. Fly back on the 18th and party with SCOPE for five days on Lake Mead.

Now THAT makes sense and makes a trek west worthwhile!! Assuming that money is not too tight ... you would have had an experience to remember!! Feel free to email me with questions or post questions here. One of our members are always online and can answer anything about any of the places or events!!

Makes you go "hmmmmm!"
Old 03-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or ...

You can come out two weeks earlier and include the Catalina Ski Race

Or ...

You can stay another two weeks and include the AZHB Fall Poker Run in Havasu

Jeffrey .. we've got so much going on out west, when are we going to find time for some impromptu lunch runs. If you don't boat every weekend out here, you're bound to miss out on something.

It's tough, but someone's got to do it