What is going on with Poker Runs? >

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Notices

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that all of the above are correct to some degree or another.

But one that I'd like to add is that I feel that the number of "new boaters" coming onto the scene "into the fraternity" so to speak has slowed and that is a significant part of the overall picture.

When I was a newbie. I was invited on the Lip-Ship Luau's and then joined FPC and did Stu's runs to use the boat more and get some familiarity with the waters beyond the Rickenbacker.

That was all "undiscovered" country for me and it was important for me to me to try and stretch my legs a bit and learn how and where to use my boat and get something out of it besides crusing to Shooters and back.

In Lake Erie it as all about getting to Canada and Back, Detroit, and Windsor too.
At some point once I did it a few times I realized it's about the friendships and bonding that goes on and that became a HUGE draw for Angela and I.

But as the Boating Maturity Curve goes.

It then became getting together with closer friends and boaters and running to different destinations on our own. Maybe only 2-3 or 4 boats off to Hawks or Marathon for the weekend or Windsor ........

I think that the last 10 years have released a giant demand for this type of recreation. But without an equally significant and steady flow of New Boaters then the Pent up Appetite becomes satiated and a Plateau effect comes into play.

Maybe, just Maybe a little of that is happening now with a nudge from all the other factors..........

One other thing, For me it was always great listening and dreaming over the stories of the Annual Everglades Marina Poker Run to Marathon.
I felt very privledged when in 1999 I was invited on my first Lip Ship Luau. (truth be told my second Rice Hauler was on the 1991 Run but I wasn't in it, but that's another story...). These were both special invitation only events and that exclusivity is different than a Club run...... Not better or anything. Just a different and special experience.
best,
Rice Hauler

Last edited by Rice Hauler; 04-12-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: easier reading
Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cloke
The best runs are those with a mix of all sizes of boats.
Its all about good people not so much good boats.
Charity participation usually brings out good people.

I like the runs with the long legs and not so much stopping and starting.One good lunch stop and a good party at end is best. Rest of day should be runnin your boat.

And you dont have to run the absolute snot out of your boat to have a good time.
Agreed...we even pull ALL our cards at the captains meeting so as to not have to deal with cards through-out the day.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Entry fee with slip $415.00, Fuel 90 miles up $198.00, Fuel back closer to the pins $268.00 $120.00 new dress for the wife ,$100.00 beer wine and Crown. Scenery like this price less.
There was so much of that I'm in the second pic LOOKING AWAY!!! (in a buddies Sonic)
Old 04-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is the combination of all factors. We enjoy the smaller runs that are more group oriented. These tend to be more family oriented. As with any activity the more people the more issues to deal with, especially the safety issues. Egos, testosterone, and plain inexperiance in larger numbers get out of hand.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It seems that a great deal of people assume that if a guy is driving a nice boat he isn't interested in talking to those with smaller boats. A great deal of the people I have met with upper end boats have to work extremely hard to have that boat and are some of the most down to earth people you could meet. I myself am guilty (alot of the time) of just hanging with the people I come to the run with instead of just going up and introducing myself to strangers (regardless of the boat they are in). I think if we ( all of us boaters) put ourselves out there a little more we would all have a better time.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree with Peter.... Get out there and use that boat!!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
two words... gas prices
Fuel usually is one of the cheaper expenses on a poker run after paying the entry fee/ hotel etc.

As far as the comments about the big dollar rigs and people being unapproachable that is just not true. I usually have the smallest/slowest boat on the FPC runs (32/low 70's) and have finished every event I started and have met some really cool people with awesome setups.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chuck
It seems that a great deal of people assume that if a guy is driving a nice boat he isn't interested in talking to those with smaller boats. A great deal of the people I have met with upper end boats have to work extremely hard to have that boat and are some of the most down to earth people you could meet. I think if we ( all of us boaters) put ourselves out there a little more we would all have a better time.
I agree Chuck.
My favorite day at the 1000 Islands Poker Run, not including the Saturday Run , is Friday.
Hanging on the docks with the great people from Typhoon, and talking to all the people who wander by makes for a great day.
I think you can control your expierence at an event.
If you want to sit in your boat, or your hotel room and think everybody else in the run doesn't want to talk to you, that's what will happen.
I also think that if you want to get involved, wander around, help somebody get in to their slip, be friendly, and talk to people, you can meet a lot of great people.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Fuel usually is one of the cheaper expenses on a poker run after paying the entry fee/ hotel etc..

I dissagree....with respect to some of the runs... case in point...

AC Poker Run for "Me"... Entry fee is $1200 + $6 ft. fockage, Two tanks of fuel @ 4+ galllon ($1800) plus misc. expenses. It's easily a $3k+ weeken if nothing breaks....

NYC PR is $650, one tank of fuel and one hotel room.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by bluellama
I agree Chuck.
My favorite day at the 1000 Islands Poker Run, not including the Saturday Run , is Friday.
Hanging on the docks with the great people from Typhoon, and talking to all the people who wander by makes for a great day.
I think you can control your expierence at an event.
If you want to sit in your boat, or your hotel room and think everybody else in the run doesn't want to talk to you, that's what will happen.
I also think that if you want to get involved, wander around, help somebody get in to their slip, be friendly, and talk to people, you can meet a lot of great people.
Now I now what happened. Thats how I met You! Our lives havent been the same since ( The bar is only up the block A) Life is what we make of it and if it wasn't for boating I would have never met a great friend like You!
Thats what boating and Poker Runs are all about (Not the Money) Meeting new friends and making great memories.

Quick Reply: What is going on with Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.