Boat Mechanic vs. Airplane Mechanic

Notices

Boat Mechanic vs. Airplane Mechanic

Old 04-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Boat Mechanic vs. Airplane Mechanic

Just wondering what the general concensus on this forum is.

I wouldn't want a boat mechanic working on my airplane, and vice verse. Just wonder why some folks think that the qualifications of an aircraft mechanic make him/her more qualified to work on a boat than say a marine mechanic with equivilent schooling, training and time on the job.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,645 Likes on 3,773 Posts

Originally Posted by Trippin
Just wondering what the general concensus on this forum is.

I wouldn't want a boat mechanic working on my airplane, and vice verse. Just wonder why some folks think that the qualifications of an aircraft mechanic make him/her more qualified to work on a boat than say a marine mechanic with equivilent schooling, training and time on the job.

quite simple there are a hell of a lot more planes in the ocean,
that boats in the sky!!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aircraft mechanics learn more discipline for proper procedure and are used to a better system of checks and balances to limit failures in the craft that can be disastrous. General knowledge of things mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic make technical jobs blend from one trade to another but if the discipline is not there the work is compromised.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered

Well as a Tech. I was an ASE Master tech by 20, worked on cars and motorcycles from about the age of 12, switched full time to motorcycles in 1992 at 22 makes me 37 now. I have almost always been the shop foreman and or the highest paid guy in the shop, I take alot of pride knowing when the other guys can't fix it they call me. I have worked and work with people that are Helicopter, airplane , heavy equip. techs , you name it I have worked with tech's from a lot of other fields.

From what I find 5 % of the good techs can fix anything and do it right and have pride in their jobs, 5% are on the way to being the next top guy, 5 % need to stick to one field and do a good job by the book, another 10 % are good helpers and do what they are told, the rest need to sell their tools.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about you guys but....I have worked for airlines in the past (ground maintance) and came across alot of ap's out there. Some of those guys have no business with a wrench in there hands.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
..... the rest need to sell their tools.

LMAO
Old 04-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered

I run a Maintenance department for an automotive supplier. We have 20 people covering several trades from hydraulic, mechanical, pneumatic, electrical, controls, instrumentation, Automation, etc... there's not much that I can't understand. But I always go to the guy that does it all the time. My brother-in-law is a merc mechanic, I was just asking him about gimble rings last week. Go to the guys that has the Experience.

Regardless of training, Attitude and attention to details are what separates the good techs from the great techs. Those are traits that the tech training doesn't supply. I hate to hear "it's close enough". I usually reply "so will be your paycheck".

There are good and bad people in any occupation; doctors, cops, airplace mechs, waiters etc...

The aviation field is regulated fairly strictly by the FAA so like Boatfixr says 'disiplined on procedures'. But that doesn't mean he knows Jack about the gimble ring. He could though, maybe he has a boat.

Three component make the best Techs.
1. Training
2. Experince
3. Attitude (attention to details / disipline)

One thing is for sure, if either one of them fails, it's not like you can just get out and walk away.

Last edited by Shawn D; 04-13-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"""From what I find 5 % of the good techs can fix anything and do it right and have pride in their jobs, 5% are on the way to being the next top guy, 5 % need to stick to one field and do a good job by the book, another 10 % are good helpers and do what they are told, the rest need to sell their tools."""

I couldn't agree more
Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago I was a certified aircraft mechanic, left that field and went into communications and am now a marine mechanic owning a high performance boat shop. This was always my passion so I"m doing what I love now. What I can say about my aircraft training is that I learned to follow procedures and documentation. In my training I learned how things worked and why, not just to see a symptom and replace a part. I have carried that training throughout my life in everything I do. But to be effective you must have an intimate knowledge of the product you are working on whatever it is. So, a good aircraft mechanic does not necessarily make a good boat mechanic unless they have the training and experience to go with it. But, they should have the foundation to learn quickly and do a high quality job.

Bob
Full Throttle Marine
Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have found in our shop the better the mechanic the worse he is with paper work.

Quick Reply: Boat Mechanic vs. Airplane Mechanic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.