Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? >

The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Notices

The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Let face it. Performance boating doesn't have the greatest image with the public. I have to wonder if we aren't doing it to ourselves.

Are we the ones waving to other boats on the water, or is that beneath us to participate in this almost universal activity?

Are we friendly and courteous when a stranger starts asking about our boats, or do we blow them off?

Are we the first ones to help others, or the first ones back to the launch ramp?

I think everyone on the board should pose as someone from the public, interface with one of our own, and see what the response is. It might be an eye opener.

We have to be our own ambassadors if we want to stave off the flood of speed limit, noise limit, size limit, horsepower limit, emissions limit, and just about every limit law. Something as simple as drawing people into our sport, either as participants or fans, rather than pushing them away, can save the future of it.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 04-06-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: title spelling
Old 04-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I think that you said it well. With all the legislation and loss of freedom, we need to be aware of our public perception. I know it's painful to spit out how fast it will go and aknowledge, "Yes, it uses lots of gas." A group at Lake Cumberland helped purchase a fireboat as well as doing a lot of public work. There on it!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I don't disagree with the way you worded it , but in our defense, there are the people that will look at boats like ours and deem it excessive and not concern themselves with legislation. I have never been rude to anyone that isn't rude first, and I try to wave to everyone but at times both hands are busy.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 AM
cloke

I see your point. I've been to lots of Poker Runs and when obvious non boaters have walked along the dock admiring the hardware; they have in many instances been treated rudely or completely ignored.
Less than 1% of the population can afford to participate in this hobby and or have gone over 100 mph in a boat; so when they stand there and dream of doing so;they should be given the time of day and the courtesy of answering a couple of their questions.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cloke
I see your point. I've been to lots of Poker Runs and when obvious non boaters have walked along the dock admiring the hardware; they have in many instances been treated rudely or completely ignored.
Less than 1% of the population can afford to participate in this hobby and or have gone over 100 mph in a boat; so when they stand there and dream of doing so;they should be given the time of day and the courtesy of answering a couple of their questions.
I have been at poker runs that we are on and have been "blown off" just by admiring the equipment or asking a question... but there are dicks at the golf club too!!

Remember MONEY is only a multiplier.. If you are a nice person you only become nicer and more giving when you have money, and the azz's are just bigger azz's with the money..especially in our sport.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner

Remember MONEY is only a multiplier.. If you are a nice person you only become nicer and more giving when you have money, and the azz's are just bigger azz's with the money..especially in our sport.
Bingo! We have a winner!

If the people you hang with/boat with are how you discribe, find new people to hang with. The boaters that are my best friends waved at me when all I had was a small boat.

Now all we have to do is clean up the Azz holes...... Hmm Not sure I worded that right.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

Definately right about this. I can name onna those dicks! Anyone know a boat named 3000 HP? Was at the Lake Lanier Pokerrun years back. Tryin to get a boat on the trailer that had died. This dick roars up as were getting the boat on the trailer. Just about knocks us off our feet, Guy jumps outta the boat, Runs up and backs his damn trailer right next to us. If the ass had been patient we'd a had the boat outta the water in 2-3 minutes. Cost us 30 minutes and a somewhat dangerous situation.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I agree with you. However, here on Long Islands south shore, unlees you are in the ocean, there are many waterways that are very narrow. When you get to learn them, you will know that they are even more narrow than they appear, due to the depth or lack of depth of the water, especially at low tide. Point I am getting to is this, at any given time, there are armadas of fisherman, drifting across ( most times perpendicular to ) the channels. So, now your choice is simple, pass by them as far away as possible without running aground and busting up your $1500 prop or your $10k drive, or even worse. Even though I give them as much room as possible, I have still seen many a finger raised in thanks for my efforts.
PS.. I thought that you are not supposed to be adrift in a bouyed off channel? The local law enforcement doesnt seem to bother them, they are more concerned with our loud exhaust.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I agree with you. However, here on Long Islands south shore, unlees you are in the ocean, there are many waterways that are very narrow. When you get to learn them, you will know that they are even more narrow than they appear, due to the depth or lack of depth of the water, especially at low tide. Point I am getting to is this, at any given time, there are armadas of fisherman, drifting across ( most times perpendicular to ) the channels. So, now your choice is simple, pass by them as far away as possible without running aground and busting up your $1500 prop or your $10k drive, or even worse. Even though I give them as much room as possible, I have still seen many a finger raised in thanks for my efforts.
PS.. I thought that you are not supposed to be adrift in a bouyed off channel? The local law enforcement doesnt seem to bother them, they are more concerned with our loud exhaust.
I agree, There are a lot of these annoying fishermen that clog up the narrow channels in Lake St.Claire, Where you can run on plane with your boat. Then they look at you like your in the wrong.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 AM
RHC
Registered

Vinny ,, thats because they can fine you for your noise,, they cant fine a fisherman or kids, for not knowing where they are at!! or where they are going !!

RHC

Quick Reply: The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.