Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need stereo advice (free air subs) >

Need stereo advice (free air subs)

Notices

Need stereo advice (free air subs)

Old 04-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need stereo advice (free air subs)

My boat came with two Clarion free air 10's from the factory. I bought the boat used and one of the subs hasn't worked since the day I bought it. Finally isolated the problem to the speaker and not the amps or wiring. Trying to decide what to do. Best price I've found on a replacement is about $100. For a little more I can buy a pair of the new model Clarions and come out about the same by the time I trip my good sub on Ebay. Or should I just suck it up and drop $400 on a pair of JLs? Anyone know if theres a difference between the older Clarions (CM2503) and the new Clarion CMSW10.1 or 10.1s? These are the newer ones I'm talking about.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...385114306.html

or

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...385114344.html

Any other good brands of free air subs to consider? How are the Kickers? If price is an indication they're pretty cheap on ebay.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had the budget for JL's thats what I would buy. I may start some fights but I say JL over clarion any day. Don't get me wrong clarion makes a great sub also, my brother sean has 2 10's in his 31 sonic and they sounds great but JL is just a clear crisp bass....Just my opinion..
Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Registered

I'd second the JL's if the price isn't a huge issue. Great quality subs.
JZ
Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

www.wetsounds.com

Check out the XS 10/12FA 10" $180ea
Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered

don't dik around. get the JL's or you'll be buying again and again. Get them proper power too, that's a good possibility for why one let go. Stay away from those online stores as they like to sell counterfeit gear.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

I built a complete JL Audio system in my old boat and there is no other free air sud as good. What power are you going to put behind them?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

I had a Clarion and about a year later ran a cross a deal on JL sub and never looked back. More power hungry then the Clarion for sure, but sounds way better. I am running it in a free air setup and sounds pretty good.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
My boat came with two Clarion free air 10's from the factory. I bought the boat used and one of the subs hasn't worked since the day I bought it. Finally isolated the problem to the speaker and not the amps or wiring. Trying to decide what to do. Best price I've found on a replacement is about $100. For a little more I can buy a pair of the new model Clarions and come out about the same by the time I trip my good sub on Ebay. Or should I just suck it up and drop $400 on a pair of JLs? Anyone know if theres a difference between the older Clarions (CM2503) and the new Clarion CMSW10.1 or 10.1s? These are the newer ones I'm talking about.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...385114306.html

or

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...385114344.html

Any other good brands of free air subs to consider? How are the Kickers? If price is an indication they're pretty cheap on ebay.
They are just cosmetically different. They still sell both and they are the same price.

If its in the budget, I would go with the JL's or maybe the new Alpines subs.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered

Don't have a ton of power on hand. 2 - 4 channel Clarions. The subs are getting about 200 watts each rms. Definetely not looking to redo everything and budget is an issue. One thing holding me back on the JLs is do I want to drop that much money into free airs or just go all the way and have someone build me some good sealed box's and buy subs designed for them. Decisions, decisions.

The weird thing about the bad sub is that its not just blown, its completely dead. No sound whatsoever. Never had a speaker do that before.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

I guess you did switch the subs to make sure it is not a channel on your amp.? I have ran 5500 series MTX "free air" under the back seat for three years and sound great, Then I did enclose them, But they sounded just as good running like they were. I now run 7500's with 600 watts per sub and they loosen every screw in my boat. HAHAHAHA. Quality power is just about as important as the sub.

Quick Reply: Need stereo advice (free air subs)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.