Notices

27 Advantage

Old 02-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 27 Advantage

Looking for any input on the boat. Looked at one at our boat show and it seemed very well built. Could not get over the size of the cabin. Salesman told me 70-72 mph with 496 HO?

Thanks Jan
Old 02-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Registered

Hey Jan,
I seem to be a resident expert on OSO about Advantage, but there are a few others on the board that are Advantage dealers, so they may know the speed numbers for you better than I do, and there is a 27 on the board, Chris Gibbons, he has a 2001 27 and here's I'll try to find a pic of it. Not sure of his motor though. I originally looked at buying a 27, but went for the 32 after all was said and done. Depending on your needs, and the speed you are looking for, and what waters you are going to be using the boat in. I looked at everything in the market, and as far as cockpit and cabin space, advantage has the most in this size, and at a competive price. There are faster hulls, but in 2000 they changed the step design on the 27 and I haven't heard about the speeds with the new bottom. My Uncle is the detroit area Advantage dealer, and we had a f2 99 27 with an HP500 carb, and it ran 77 on gps, and was a comperable ride to most 32's on the market, and I attribute this to a longer running surface or no 2-3 foot cutout on the back for the afterthough swim platform of most manufacturers, making your 27' boat, more like a 24 and that makes a big difference in the ride of a boat. If you are considering odrering it, which I recommend, either thru the factory or a local dealer, contact me, there are a few things, which I would recommend changing, but real minor, and at no cost, as they are building the boat fully customized for you already, changing things is no big deal for them. The "in the mold" gel coat graphics are killer, and you get to make it look any way you want it to look, and match the cockpit, and interior to all your custom upholstery choices and all at no additional cost. All aroud Advantage put out a great boat. Spacious, great ride, good speeds out of the hulls, and a fit and finish, at the very top of the scale, and total customization inside and out at no additional cost, and it's awesome watching what you came up with get put down on paper, then made to be all yours. I've helped out about 15 people with thier orders, most locally, but a few oso people have called me and gotten my opinions on what to do with thier order, and how far to go with the customization, and personally, I cant wait to order my next Advantage. Here's a pic of my 32.
Attached Thumbnails 27 Advantage-adv001.jpg  

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 02-20-2002 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:51 PM
cbudge

Default 27 Advantage

I have owned two 27 Advantage Victorys. ( long story) Do your homework. The 27 Advantage is without question on of the WORST hulls on the market. Advantage Rob claims 77 GPS with on a 99 27 with a 500 hp. NO WAY . At Havasu with a 500 HP efi the best I have seen is 67 GPS. Check the reports in the magazines. They claimed to have changed the hull in 2000 (They did NOT) ( it is the reason I purchased a new 2000 , had a 1996 ) It was the exact same bottom. If you put any horsepower to it the boat chimewalks so bad it is down right dangerous. The quality of Advantage since the unfortant deaths of the Harry and Jeff in my opinion has gone to hell. I believe anybody that was familiar with Advantage before will agree. You can purchase a lot better boat for the same amount of money. I am not out to bash Advantage, some of their other models seem to hold their own, it is just the 27 Victory Don't even think about it. Unless may they in fact did change the hull like they claimed to me they were going to in their 2000 model (by the way it supposely is still one of their best sellers to uninformed boaters). Don't make the same mistake I did and a lot of other 27 Victory owns will tell you the same. By the way I pulled the engine and drive from my 2000 Advantage Victory, put in a 28' Howard V Hull Bullet and the boat ran 20 mph faster!!!! Good luck in your boat shopping.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:05 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

WOW!!
Old 02-20-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jan,

If I remember right you have a 26 Powerquest, pretty cool boat already. I would wait and save money to get a 29-35 size boat. My next boat will be a Hustler 34 Chetta or 35 Fountain. But thats aways off.

WILL
Old 02-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Registered

WoW I remember your storys from hotboat forum, and that's why I said there were faster hulls in that size, the 27 has never been the fastest hull, but in the f1 we had it saw 77 like I said. (I see I wrote f2 up there though oops) the 98 25 pleasure version around here has a 500 carb and see's 75 all day, I have no idea what a 496 would run, but someone knows I'm sure. If your looking to drop an 800 horse blower motor in a 27, that doesnt make a good combination, but if your like me, keep stock reliable motors, entertain alot on the boat, and want an "all around" great boat for all "normal people" things considered, it's a awesome ride. There was a point I was worried after the loss of Harry and Jeff about the company, but that was a small time frame, and the boats have been going thru the constant improvements process any manufacturer expects, to always have a better product. And the one's I've seen coming out are better than ever, as you saw at the show. Where's Chris Gibbons he is the guy to ask, he's like a kid in a candy store about his 27. I'm not at all disagreeing about it not being the fastet hull, but with a roomy boat, and a full size 27' comes weight, and loss of speed, cant have both but depending on your needs, I wanted some room to party, and they fit the bill for me, That's what I like about the 27, but then I fell in love with the 32, and now I want a 40, I think they are great boats, and I have no stake to push them, and I'm not bs'n the numbers I've seen. I have no reason to there's nothing in it for me.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 02-20-2002 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Registered

just for unbiased opinion, I went to the hot boat forum, and there is not a 27 advantage tested, but there is a 28 howard bullet tested under thier radar gun, hp500efi 74mph, I wish there was a 27 Advantage tested with the same power, but there isn't so I cant help. There is a 25 advantage tested with a 385hp volvo duoprop set-up saying 65mph, though. as are most boats on hot boats site. here it is fyi:

http://free.hotboat.net/tests/recent.html

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 02-20-2002 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:41 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 27 Advantage

I guess I could chime in here a little.
Being from MN Jan I do know the boats well
I know of 5 here in the state. Only 2 have the 496 and I believe only one with the HO. These are brand new and have not been throught the MN ice yet
I do know of 2 99 models. One with a 454 mag in it that Advantage Rob has posted in the reader ride thread. This is John Z;s boat. Very well kept. Last summer I knew it only had like 55 hours on it. This boat will run side by side of my cat at 60-62mph. That is until I trim my boat up and take off
But his is a 60-62 run.
Another I know of is a Prochargered 502 running only 5.5lbs of boost. It has a mild prop and is not set for max speed. He can run between 72-75 depending on air temp and water style. His does NOT chinewalk at all.
I do beleive Rob when he says the F1 with a 500 will do those speeds. Alot of unknowing people don't relize that F1 boats, or any race boats for that matter, are as bare hulled as possible.
Take away a few hundred pounds or more from any boat and it will run faster then the next stock accesoried boat.
I do agree that the 27 can be alot faster of hull. I know they are looking at changing the hull design. I did not here they were doing it for hte 2000 year tho. Heard 2002 or 2003. But then again I have not been to the factory for over a year now
I will be calling Bill tonight about another persons deal breaker and will ask him about the hull upgrade.
The cockpit and cabins are larger then any other 27 I have seen.
Also like someone else stated, if you already have a 26' I personally would rather spend the money on a bigger jump
Have you looked at the new 30'Victory. We have 2 here in the state. One with the Scorpion motors running low to mid 70s on SMALL blocks naturally asperated. Awesome boat. I can get you pics and phone # to the owner if you like.
BTW my next boat will either be another cat but with a single 850hp or a 32 with at least twin 500's
We have a new 32 in stock now with twin WHIPPLED 540 Bullgogs
Cannot wait to see this 'Silver Bullet' running about 110
At least that is what I hope they get out of her.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Registered

I personally know of two. One has a 454 Mag, runs mid 50's. One has a 502 Mag and runs low 60's.

Craig
Old 02-21-2002, 09:43 AM
On The Prowl

I have a 99 Victory and really like it. It is not the fastest hull out there but with a 502 mag it is a fairly reliable low 60's. I have done a little bit of work and reach close to 70 on occasion but wouldn't expect alot more stable speed. As mentioned in a previous post it does have a very nice cabin.

I actually bought mine sight unseen and have been completely happy with it. I am, like alot, interested in moving up in size of a boat and would consider another Advantage because of the workmanship on the one I own.

Just my .02 worth.
Attached Thumbnails 27 Advantage-me-my-boat-v.jpg  

Quick Reply: 27 Advantage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.