Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help with paint and graphics needed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18497-help-paint-graphics-needed.html)

Intolerant1 02-20-2002 12:31 PM

Help with paint and graphics needed

Our boat is in need of some cosmetic changes. The original graphics leave much to be desired. There is also some fading of the maroon especially above the rub rail. I would like to paint the entire maroon are white to match the white gel coat but realize that may be hard to acomplish. The interior is marron and gray. I thought some graphic design using maroon, silver and maybe black would make the boat look sportier. I hate to paint the entire boat as the gel coat is in excellent shape. Only have some spider webs near the bow anchor locker from the anchor bounce around. Money is a concern and I dont care for tape graphics. I plan on changing the rub rail to a white one. Any ideas appreciated.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...8154mwyavnZXEp

euby 02-20-2002 01:31 PM

i would think you could paint it with a two stage(base + clear) since it looks like a trailored boat and not in the water all the time. most of it looks like it would be above the water line even if it was. i'm gettin ready to paint mine with some graphics and i plan on using two stage down to the strakes on both sides. if your going to paint you could come up with some new graphics....something a little more current. take your side shot like the one you posted and draw the outline and go to work with your crayons to get some ideas!!!!!:D

birdog 02-20-2002 01:35 PM

Intolerant1 : I left you a note on youre post from this AM:cool:

Intolerant1 02-20-2002 02:03 PM

Thanx Birdog, I'm really looking to update the graphics. The boat has nice sporty lines but needs some help. I was thinking of taking the area above the rub rail and making a scallop out of it that comes down into the area beneath the rub rail.

birdog 02-20-2002 02:11 PM

Euby had the idea. I changed my graphics 5or 6 times in the years i owened my lib! {Vinyl...I know...I know} Thats how I would lay mine out,from pictures print them out from youre computer and then draw! I was lucky I have a friend who has built street rods for years with a real good "eye'to help me

traviss 02-20-2002 02:21 PM

I would stay with graphics that were in the era of the boat, I personaly don't like old boats with newer graphics. Use some base & clear on it. Paint some your graphics on it then clear the whole boat, wet sand them down so you can't feel the paint edge. Lay out some nice flowing lines, the ones there are not bad, maybe a few thin ones down by the chine. Your colors are good.. like you said ad some sparkling silver and black.. You said that you are putting a white rubrail on it. thats good.. because the only bad thing was the marron stripe on their needed to be split up into two stripe's, the rubrail will do that..

Reindl Powerboats 02-20-2002 02:42 PM

Call me if you need the names of some paint guys. check out Glassdave if you are in the Ohio Area.
Chris Reindl
(513) 706-3199

BAJA WILL 02-20-2002 02:49 PM

I would probably paint the boat solid white, and they play with Vynal grafics??

Hot Boat 02-20-2002 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of a boat I found that looks the same as mine except that my sides are teal. I am going to remove the bow rails and get rid of the big stainless grill that is on the back. I found it tough to figure out what to do with the graphics because of the large black stripe on the side. I was really thinking of painting the boat. But then I talked with Ryan.

Hot Boat 02-20-2002 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hate it when the wife is logged in and I didn't know :mad:

Now I have to find out why I cant log in under my user name. :confused:

Here is what Ryan came up with for me. If he came up with this for me I would love to see what he can do for you. It will look like a new boat when I am finished. I just cant wait till it gets warmer to do all the work. :D

Paul / HOT BOAT